Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Days I Really Love Being A Teacher

It turns out I have missed wiring on the daily so I think I will come back to this whole blogging thing,with some more scaled down posts for the next few weeks while the school year continues to wind down.

Monday I went on a field trip with all the Juniors and a few of my favorite teachers to the Nixon Presidential Library.  Before going there I knew that Nixon was a president and that he resigned due to Watergate.  That was it.  When I left I knew that he grew up in California (his childhood home is actually the site of the library), that his first house did not have a bathroom but it did have a goat, and that JFK was the first man to walk on the moon.  That last one might have been something one of the students taught me.

[caption id="attachment_1634" align="aligncenter" width="600"]The first home Nixon grew up in. The first home Nixon grew up in.[/caption]

I just love days that are out of the norm from a regular teaching schedule.  I can get really tired on field trips making sure the kids are nice and do not run off to make out and learning about things at the same time.  But it is fun to force them to take photos with you in front of the helicopter Nixon rode while his resignation from the presidency was taking effect.

[caption id="attachment_1635" align="aligncenter" width="600"]My Asian Possey My Asian Possey[/caption]

It was just the right way for me to get back in the swing of work after two weeks sitting in a room giving AP Exams.  In case you want to know what hell will be like part of it will be proctoring exams for hours on end without being able to talk to anyone and no bathroom breaks.

This is the time of year where I always ask myself why I am a teacher.  The hours are tough, the kids can be brats because their hormones are freaking out, and summer is so close we can all touch it.

But this is also the time of year that I am grateful that I am a teacher. Students finally get the drill and are used to me and what I expect of them, they ask beautifully insightful questions about social justice based on the books we read (of Mice and Men at the moment), and it probably helps that teacher appreciation week was a few weeks ago.  For the first time since I worked at my school I was actually appreciated with flowers, candy (ugh) and gift cards.

Teacher Appreciation Week

 

[caption id="attachment_1637" align="aligncenter" width="600"]You Deserve A Raise Today There was a KitKat Bar attached to this which I ate before I became so witty.[/caption]

PS - we as a society need to come up with a way to appreciate teachers that is not getting them fat, if ya know what I mean.  #seasonticketstotheducks #anewcar

18 comments:

  1. So sweet! I bet you're a freaking fantastic teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is so close! My mother is the crazy library lady at her highschool, but she used to teach as well. I totally agree, teachers deserve WAYY more recognition and appreciation than they do now. Hang in there and have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha love the caption on the picture with your class...I was just thinking the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last line in this! Haha so true

    ReplyDelete
  5. bur for reals coming from a family full of teachers you guys do deserve a raise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well isn't that amazing! I know it can be a tough job but those rewarding moments must make it so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really cant wait until I get to teach I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure sounds like your kids are really getting it! haha first person on the moon... Love that you had some rewarding moments here lately ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I am taking summer classes you get to start summer before me now. Lucky duck. Summer school sucks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am telling you I am an honorary Asian now! Love those guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks girl! It is all down hill from here! I wish my school had a library and a library lady, we would probably be best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks girl! I am in awe of all teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, it needs to happen man!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is the best! Hope you can teach soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is great! I love the students and it can be so hard but I try to remember the good times with the kids actually getting it and growing into good people!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am teaching summer school if it makes you feel better. I just get off at noon every day so it will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! I am not even their history teacher who taught them that and I was embarrassed for them!

    ReplyDelete