Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rescued By A Hobbit In A Motor Boat

I am starting to write a book about all the random stories I have complied as a teacher of international students.  I asked my mom to remind me of any of the crazy things that have happened over the last three years.  She brought up all my favorite stores that I already had planned on writing.  Then halfway through dinner she looked at me and said, "Remember when your kayak sank in Catalina?" I actually had forgotten about that time, but that moment in my life, now with two years time to heal, was one of the most ridiculous.  Of course I will write about it in my book, but I thought I would share it with you in a more simple form with some visual aids.

This particular story takes place in April of 2012.  I was teaching juniors and seniors in high school at my current job and I was forced to chaperone the 8th grade class on their trip to Catalina.  When I tried to protest that I was much more valuable actually teaching my students on campus and they should get a teacher that you know actually taught 8th grade, I was told, "You are the only girl who works here that is adventurous and kind of outdoorsy."  I learned that "outdoorsy" meant that I took my classes outside to read a couple of times.

It was my first year there and I think contracts hadn't been handed out yet, so I sucked it up and rode the boat with 25 8th graders and 2 male teachers.

We boarded the bus and within ten minutes one of the kids was carsick and threw up on the bus.  In that moment I knew the trip was doomed.

After what seemed like the world's longest bus ride and then boat ride we arrived to our isle destination for the next three days, Catalina: the Island from Hell.

Catalina Island From Hell

The first couple days were fine.  I had to make 6 of the most unwilling girls do things like wear a wet suit and go snorkeling.  I had to pretend like it wasn't the most disgusting thing in the world when our instructor told us to pee in our wet suits and that countless people before us had peed in the wetsuit we would be wearing that afternoon.  I kept it together when I had to eat the most disgusting camp food known to mankind.  I was cheerful to sleep in a cabin that did not have windows or electricity.  I even was willing to share the Oreos I brought with the girls (by share I mean bribe. I gave them a cookie every time they did something they didn't want to do).

Day Two and I was still hanging in there.  I was forcing myself to be positive for the kids and it was working.  In the afternoon my group was to go kayaking and I was actually excited for this activity.  I am pretty great at the kayak and well I didn't have to wear the pee suit for this activity. The instructor asked me to go in a kayak by myself and help her lead the group.  I said sure and went out on the Pacific Ocean armed with an oar and a life vest unaware of the danger that would befall me in 30 minutes.

I paddled out a ways and guided the kids to their destination. This part was easy and I was pretty proud of myself for how amazing I was at kayaking.  As a group we went around a part of the island for about half a mile.  As we were going I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to paddle. I had to put much more effort into it and I was getting tired really fast.  All that confidence I once had was quickly leaving.

After a struggle I made it to the group and we were linking up to get ready to go into a cave.  One of the boys held out his paddle so I could reach for it and link up.  I reached for the oar and he quit paying attention and moved his oar before I had a grip on it, 8th grade boys!  I was leaning out too far and my kayak tipped over and I fell in the freezing cold water.

All the kids were laughing, as they should have been it was funny, and were trying to help me get back in my kayak.  For some reason I couldn't get back in.  I kept trying to push myself in and as soon as I would be about to get in the kayak would flip over again.  I went through this process about 30 times and the kids instructor was getting really pissed off at me.  She held my kayak still yelled at me to get in the boat.  By this time I was holding back tears and was freezing cold.

Finally I got in the boat and it did not flip over.  Instead it sank. Yep my kayak sank in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with me in it.  At this point I was done.  There was no happiness to be found on the island from Hell.  The instructor was mortified and apologized for getting mad at me for not being able to get in my boat.  She realized that the kayak must have had a hole in it and was taking on water the whole time which made it tip over easily.  She called the shore and asked for someone to come rescue me and my boat.

I trended water for like 20 minutes and waited for my rescuer to arrive.  In many ways I understood why Rose wouldn't share her piece of wood with Jack and that scene from Titanic came alive for me in that moment, except Leo was a group of 13 year old children.  I would never have shared my door with them.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="650"] via[/caption]

Now I should tell you I have seen enough movies where people need to be rescued from the water and I was pretty excited for what was going to happen next.  I was anticipating being saved by a guy that looked like this:

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="465"] via[/caption]

And instead a motor boat pulled up with this:

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="500"] via[/caption]

When my hobbit rescuer tried to help me in the boat I almost took him with me.  I am pretty sure sending a guy that was maybe 5'2 to save a girl who is 5'10 was the best idea ever.  In fact I would pay money to watch Frodo save Heidi Klum one day.  Yes I just compared myself to Heidi Klum.

After the first failed attempt he decided he needed to save the boat before he saved me.  He got the kayak tied to the motor boat and 10 minutes later decided he should save the human freezing in the water.  I told hobbit boy that I would push myself up on the boat and he just needed to help me find the bottom so I didn't fall in.  He agreed and i pushed myself up. I told him I was ready to get in the boat and he looked over and forgot about me.  I then fell in the boat and scrapped the whole right side of my body on the boat.  He looked over and said "oh are you ready to go back now?"

We took off and I sat shaking I was so cold and wet.  He had a nice jacket on and was dry, and continued to wear his warm jacket.  A real hero.

I realized in my frozen state that I had been lied to all these years in movies.  When you are rescued from the ocean you will not be rescued by Thor, there are no blankets to make you warm, no hot cocoa to ease your troubles, a hobbit won't even give you his jacket to keep warm.  Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock you lied to me!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="450"] via[/caption]

I made it back to my cabin, found the staff bathrooms and took the longest hot shower ever.  I then put on all my clothes and sat on my bunk bed and at the rest of the Oreos I brought for the children.  The rest of the day I just watched and did not try to pretend it was fun.  The next morning as soon as the sun came up I jumped out of bed and yelled, "We go home today!"

I then had to force a girl to go snorkeling again and she cussed me out in Chinese, or at least I think she did, I don't speak Chinese.  I got on another boat this time a little wiser and a little beat up and knew I would never go back to the Island from Hell ever again.

25 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha! Classic! I'm glad you made it home alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! This is wonderful. But hey, Frodo Baggins is adorable. Maybe I'm not bothered by Hobbit size since I'm only 5 foot nothin. Thor would be a much better choice though. Maybe you should flip boats more often so that one day Thor will rescue you. Then you'll live happily ever after and it will be a wonderful story to tell your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the funniest post I've read in a long time; I was literally laughing out loud. You're a better person than me because it would have taken much more than some Oreos to make me feel better after all that. Glad the rest of your field trips seem to be more fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my thats crazy!

    Look at the awesome story you got out of the whole experience though right

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crying...please oh PLEASE write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man--I'm not the camp kind of girl, either. That sounds like utter torture! I do like kayaking, but I've only ever gone in a tandem kayak with my husband--I don't think I'd trust myself to paddle one on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not mind being saved by Frodo lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. omygoodness! How horrible. I want to read more stories though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Ms. Klum, you should find out if there is a way to write a review of your "rescuer". Sounds like pretty crappy service if you ask me! Good thing you can laugh about it now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too. At least I did not throw up the whole way there right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful idea. Gotta kiss a lot of frogs, gotta sink a lot of boats. Frodo is cute, but not who I would have rescue me from a boating accident.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! It was crazy and I will sometimes mention it to kids at school, 'remember that time my boat sank at Catalina?" We laugh and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think everyone knew how bad it was because when we got home my principal called me at home to make sure I was ok. and you are right the rest of the trips have been fine, just stay away from Catalina. Also thanks for the sweet encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go to Catalina Island, rent a kayak, bore a hole in it and wait for rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is fun on your own too. Just make sure your boat isn't faulty and does not have a hole in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I complained to the camp, they accepted no responsibility and my school didn't do anything either. So I took it to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hobbit lol! you should've put a picture of the cartoon hobbit cuz i've always had a thing for Elijah wood. and i love that you compared yourself to heidi klum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry but it did make for a good story!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can imagine how horrible this felt while it was happening, but I have to say I was laughing out loud the whole time! My brother and I were canoeing at a park last summer, and we fell over so many times because of a whole in the canoe- I'll be honest, the guy who came to rescue us was pretty hot!

    xo, Hima
    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was terrible, but funny now! I love it when the kids bring it up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hmm. I always see EW as a little boy for some reason. But I can understand the attraction too. I mean Heidi is totally my older sister! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How sad! But I am so glad you had a hot rescuer.

    ReplyDelete