Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Bachelorette Link Up #1

Alright, so my friend Meg over at Henning Love is having a link up to recap The Bachelorette every Tuesday.  When I saw her post about it was instantly excited.  True confession: I love The Bachelor TV series.  However, I don't love it like most people love it.  I love to hate it. And I don't love to hate it in the ironic hipster way, I just like to watch it and look for flaws in all the people on this show.  I blame it on the MA in counseling that I have.  Others may blame it on too much time on my hands or heart made out of ice.  Either way I think I am entertaining.



So - at least for this week, because I do not know how much more of these people I can stand - here is my Bachelorette Recap for the first episode.  Let's meet the men aimless boys without real careers!

Usually the first episode of The Bachelorette feels a little like a frat party.  Beefy guys all competing to make it into the frat (or into the girls pants heart.)  This year was even worse than usual.  Honestly, I did not like any of the suitors the show found for Des.  I am not sure if it has to do with the lack of quality guys our age, yes we are about the same age, or if she just has horrible taste, but the quality was not there. Which leads me to wonder if our generation of guys is just not having the best time this decade.  The economic downturn, emerging adulthood, or prolonged adolescence has made the men on the Bachelorette actually seem strangely familiar to me.  But this is about Des so I will stick to the topic at hand.

First of all, there were 2 men who actually had legitimate career jobs in their late 20s and early 30s.  The were the creepiest men on the show.  The first was Larry, an ER doctor, who could only talk about the fact that he "dipped her all wrong."  That of course is a reference to the dance move he concocted that went awry when he tired to dip Des and her dress was caught on something.  He was gone gone gone.  The other professional was a CREEP named Justin who claimed to be a lawyer.  she threw him out before the rose ceremony because he kept trying to sleep with her the first night  Kla$$y.

Other than those to the night was filled with nervous boys and wanna be men.  None of them struck me as impressive. Drew from Arizona seemed sweet, but like little brother sweet.  The guy who invented the sign spinning to get business was cool until he told us that he was the guy who invented sign spinning.  Seriously, who thinks that is impressive, I find it obnoxious when I am walking down the street and am nearly decapitated by a sign. Also annoying when I found out what his job was hashtag Kassey. If you work for social media cool, I guess.  You don't have to hashtag everything you say.  You sound like a 16 year old girl in one of my English classes. 

The only man I thought could be a viable option was Ben, the man with the kid.  I mean seriously how cute was that kid and how cool was it when he told her up front about who he was.  Then he talked some more and I lost interest.  Who says they just had a kid with their best friend?  I have seen enough straight to Netflix movies where that never works and the mom and dad always get together, if ya know what I mean. Oh my good friend thinks that Zak W. would make a good husband for her.  I am pretty sure she is twitter stalking him as we speak.  I approve of his abs.

Other than the lack of quality men, the aspect of this season that bugged me the most was the "Cinderella" theme it has taken on.

Des comes from humble beginnings and was quite poor growing up.  Being The Bachelorette is a wonderful opportunity for her.  She has a nice house, mint green Bentley to drive around Malibu, and 25 guys that just pledged their new bachelor frat.  I get it.  However, I do not need to be beat over the head with it.

I think that wanting your life to be a fairy tale is quite childish and damaging for a relationship.  Who can live up to that expectation.  If you have the expectation of a "fairy tale" love story you are bound to be depressed, let down, and underwhelmed - or according to Alex Mack just whelmed.  If nothing else the fair tale wont work because animals don't talk to you, do your chores, or make sure you are home on time before you turn into a pumpkin again.

I wish Des and her boys good luck this year.  Come back next week to see if I can handle another episode.

love! Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment