Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

So You Want to Start A Blog - Be The Blog Reader You Want To Have

Well that was one heck of a long title.  If you managed to make it through all those words thanks for sticking with me.

For today's topic in the So You Want To Start a Blog series I am tackling the topic of how to get people interested in your blog.  For me the hardest part is not coming up with content, or using social media, it is getting people to read this little thing I write.

To be really honest with you today I feel a little weird writing about this topic because I have seen my page views drop the last two weeks. It has not been that drastic, but I pay too much attention to those stats and  I have been a little (or a lot) discouraged about it and have been trying to figure out if I have been doing something wrong or if I just lost the blogging touch.

Maybe I lack self - blog - awareness, but I think one of the huge reasons I have seen a little drop is because I have been a little not reading all the blogs the last two weeks due to extreme exhaustion at the end of my work day.

In order to get blog readers you have to be the kind of blog reader you want to have. All I mean is if you want people to read your blog and make a thoughtful comment, you better be doing that around all the blogs.  Here are my blogging tips for getting interest to your page and having people comment again and again on your blog.

So You Want to Start A Blog Week 5 Comments

1. Read all the blogs

I think it is really important to read other blogs and to comment on them.  Bloggers have no idea that you read their blog unless you make some sort of a comment or reach out to them.  Sure it might seem weird or creepy or stalkerish, but put yourself in their shoes. If you got a great comment you would not think it was creepy you would think it was awesome.

2. Leave a meaningful comment

Actually engage with the material a person has spent a hour or more writing so you will read it.  Just posting "cute" usually gets a "thanks" from me in reply.  While i like that you commented I don't really know what you thought was cute, although we all know it was Penny.  Part of commenting is building a community that wants to read what you have to say and vice versa.  I love it when a reader writes about something That resonated with them from my post.  It is actually the thing I love the most about blogging, is the dialogue that evolves around sometimes the silliest posts. 

3. Leave your blog address in the comment you write 

I am torn on this point sometimes.  I actually like it when people do this for me if they are new to my blog.  It makes it easy for me to find them and read their blog.  Personally I love taking the time to read blogs of the people who read my blog.  I sometimes do not leave my link in a blog comment because I worry it looks tacky or I am only looking for people to read my blog.  While I am looking for people to read my blog I also genuinely really wanted to write a comment.  I will usually leave my link about 30% of the time I am reading a blog that does not know about me or my blog.  Maybe I am shy, but that is what works for me. I am sure many others are much better at this than I am.

4. Reply to comments people make on your blog

If you are on blogger it is super easy to reply through the email you receive noticing you you have a comment.  On Wordpress I am not a fan of the comment system that comes with WP.  I am not sure how people reply short of copying and pasting an email address into their new message.  I use Disqus because I can comment back and it is delivered to their email.  I have had a few issues with Disqus the last few months, like it not uploading all my comments from when I switched to WP, but overall it is the best solution I have found.

5.  Reply to comments in a timely fashion

I know most of us have real jobs and blogging is a hobby.  Life gets in the way and you do not have time to reply to all of your comments all the time.  The more often you are consistent with replying the more often people will come back.  I try and reply within the day and often if I can within the hour.  If you stay on top of it it is totally manageable.  If you neglect it for two weeks I do not think you will ever catch up.

6. Ask a question at the end of your post

So what do you think? What are you tips for having people come back to your blog and engage with you and your writing?

In case you missed the other posts in the series check it out here:

Week 1 - Before Your First Post
Week 2 - Basic Blog Design
Week 3 - Content
Week 4 - Social Media

31 comments:

  1. Yup! People don't always get how important this is, and I know I"m totally guilty of not commenting 1/2 of the time. But I'm working on it! I'm trying to at least comment on the blogs who comment on mine, as well as the others I just love to follow. It's time consuming, but totally worth it. Spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with this post. However, I am new to blogging (about a month) and I thought it was considered rude to put your link, but I guess I was wrong!
    My good friend likes my blog and wants to start one, so I told her that I would gather some links with good information. I'll definitely be adding this to my email!
    www.seriouslysarah.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post!! It's so true. I always notice that my views go waaay down when I don't take the time to comment on other blogs. Thanks for sharing & giving me the encouragement to go comment on some blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally nailed this at the end of the day i think growing your blog has to be organic in the fact that you have to read and interact with other bloggers other wise just gaining a bunch of followers from a giveaway is not going to keep your readers around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it when someone leaves a thoughtful comment and a link back to their blog. The time it is tacky is when someone says. Read your blog read mine too? with a link. If someone has commented a lot on my blog and I can not find theirs I usually ask for it. That is just me though. I am all about learning from others and reading their blogs! Excited to make it over to your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is my goal as well. It does take a lot of time and I usually have to schedule it into my week, but when I read all the blogs I see a huge increase in traffic and genuine readership.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo!! I spent like an hour just reading and commenting last night and I am already seeing a difference today. Also maybe everyone was hungover yesterday from too much green beer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! I like giveaways too because it does increase awareness, but if there is not a hook for people to stick around then it is wasted money. Thanks for reading by the way, your blog always makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally think that "being the blog reader you want to have" is both the kind thing to do and that it's a good strategy, if you prefer to think of it that way. I tend to err on the side of not leaving my link in the comment, just because with most commenting systems you can click on the name and find a link to the person's blog (I.e. click on the disqus name and most bloggers have their website listed on their profile). Although, I think some brand-new bloggers may not have realized that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the link back, there is always a way to find if you provide it. I am sometimes so lazy that looking for a bloggers link just doesn't happen if I am being honest. If it is right in front of me I will probably do something :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely agree about the commenting thing but at the same time, sometimes that whole concept baffles me. I love it when people comment on mine (like soooo much), but I never stop reading my favourite blogs because they don't comment on mine! I realize commenting helps to get people to your blog and to get to know you, but it'd be nice to know that the people who are reading/commenting actually WANT to read/comment on your blog, and not just because you commented on theirs. Wow, that was a lot of words which I'm sure didn't make a whole lot of sense!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent advice! I love the way you phrase it as being the blog reader you want to have. When I started blogging I didn't comment much on other blogs because I was worried about the creep factor, but you're so right that that is not how the writer would feel about receiving comments at all. I love getting comments! And it's such a great way to build relationships with other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will say that getting people to read my content is hard, really hard. I also don't like leaving my link to my blog on comments usually because I don't want to seem desperate or tacky. One thing I need to work on is commenting back to whoever commented on my blog. Like you said, life and work gets in the way sometime. This is a great list you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What I love most about this post is the part about reading other blogs. I think when you miss out on got her parts of blogland you miss out on new ideas on how to grow your blog! I'm sorry about your stars- I've noticed with mine that they come in cycles. So I hope that brings some comfort- you write excellent content so don't get discouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My page views have dropped as well. I haven't been reading or commenting nearly as much as I once did. Work has me drained. On the weekends I am able to catch up but not during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa @ Ameliorer la VieMarch 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM

    This is all great advice, even though I never comment if I read someone's blog on my smartphone...it's just too annoying. I always comment back on my blog, but need to do a better job of sending them out in e-mail form.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you I want people to read my blog because they want to read it. I think for the most part there are just so many blogs that you kind of have to self promote and get your name out there. A lot of my favorite blogs do not write back, but many do and I love that they do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it so funny to think that we would be afraid of being creepy? I mean I get sad if hardly anyone comments on my blog in a day. I just put myself in others bloggers shoes and decided they love comments as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hear ya. I do not like to do it either, which is why it is at about 30% of the time if I do it. I feel like if I have read and commented on a blog for a while and have not heard back it is time for them to know where they can find me if they want to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am telling you March is the worst month to be a teacher! I am pretty sure we need a hug a teacher day in March! Keep on trucking girl, you have my full support!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well thank you my friend! I have ebbs and flows too. I think i just get concerned when I try really hard and nothing really happens. Another day another blog and life goes on, after all it is just a blog right?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes I like it when I get an email back. I am not very likely to go back to a blog and see if the writer wrote me a reply. It takes a little to get in the groove of it but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I try to follow almost all of these. I think you nailed it when you said "be the blog reader you want". High five, girl! I think that's so key. If you like comments, then take the time to comment on others' blogs. I also visit blogs of those that leave me comments. It doesn't mean I'll necessarily follow them, but if you took the time to comment I feel I can take some time to read your posts and comment. Just good karma, right?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely the best way to look at it I've heard of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely! I will at least read a post from everyone who comments, but you are right I do not follow all of them. If all I get in a comment is "cool post, follow me?" I usually move on. I know we are all trying to grow and get readers but I would rather you offer me $20 to follow your blog at that rate! hahah! Thanks for the sweet words :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a great idea, I think with this type of commenting system it's hard to link back to people's blogs. I will definitely have to try that, if I've had multiple conversations with people and they haven't visited my blog maybe they just can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's never just a blog girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. If you haven't noticed I'm blog stalking you today! I have only left a few comments as to not feel super weird commenting on EVERYTHING from the last two weeks. I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you!


    Because I'm behind in reading other blogs I have noticed my numbers drop as well. I know I'm more likely to follow someone if they take the time to make a connection with me. I helps me remember them and their blog.


    mylowercaselife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I definitely agree- you get back what you put in!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am glad that you stalked my blog today :) It is so easy to get behind too. Just one bad week and I feel like I missed a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yep! I have loved learning more about it and learning more about others too.

    ReplyDelete