Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sunday Funday - Erica's Oscar Season Movie Reviews

For today's Sunday Funday I thought it would be fun to have a movie based theme in honor of the Oscars on Sunday.

Erica's Oscar Season Movie Reviews


[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="622"] via[/caption]

Erica Jacquline

 

I love movies and I saw a lot of them during Oscar Season, November - January. I however, did not necessarily see Oscar nominated films.  Please remember that I did not say I saw a lot of Oscar nominated movies during Oscar Season, just a lot of movies.

Below are most of the films I saw and my review of each film.  I hope you enjoy and I hope your favorites will win big tomorrow night!

Dallas Buyer Club


This was a great movie that I didn't know I was seeing.  When I went to the movies the day I saw it I was given the option of 12 Years a Slave and Dallas Buyers Club.  I knew I wasn't ready for 12 Years so I choose Dallas Buyers thinking it was The Wolf Of Wall Street.  I guess that is what happens when Matthew Mc is in two movies at the same time.

I was in the theater and the movie started at the rodeo with Matt M. "getting it on" in one of the bull chute.  I turned to my friend and told her I was so confused.  Why in the world would a movie about Wall Street start at the Rodeo?

She informed me it was a movie about HIV and I realized I had no idea what I was about to watch.

I actually have to tell you that this movie was amazing, other than the very confusing opening.  I was so impressed by Matthew M. and Jared Leto and how far they went to transform themselves for their roles.  It is a heavy movie with a good message.  I for one left knowing more and  feeling compassion for people who experience similar stories that were depicted in this film.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="535"] via[/caption]

Hunger Games Catching Fire 


I love the Hunger Games books.  Before the movies came out I actually told all my students to read them.  Then the movies came out and I knew my students weren't reading and were just watching.

Other than my personal disappointment I actually am glad these books were made into movies.  I think they do a pretty good job of sticking to the books and the second one was better than the first.  Peeta seemed less girly and more capable in the second film.

The second book was my favorite in the series and I have a feeling it will be my favorite movie too.  Really what is going to happen without Phillip Seymore Hoffman?

via
Thor 2

I just think Thor is dreamy.  I have no critique of the movie because I just looked at his muscles the whole time.  I love you Thor.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="622"] via[/caption]

About Time


LOVED, LOVED, LOVED THIS MOVIE!  I had no idea what to expect going into this film.  I just knew Rachel McAdams fell in love with a time-traveling red head and I wanted to see that unfold.

This movie has so much depth and happiness that I left the theater feeling good about life and ready to take on the world.  I honestly think it is going to be in my top movie picks for life amongst, Almost Famous, Elizabethtown, Lars and the Real Girl and whatever else I decide on any given day.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="612"] via[/caption]

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty


I was really inspired by this movie to get out and live a better life.  I have always loved Ben Stiller and I have missed him on the screen lately.  My friend thought the movie was too predictable, but I was sold the whole time.  The only thing that was off for me was Adam Scott as the mean boss.  His beard distracted me, and his role was too archetypal bad guy.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="608"] via[/caption]

Anchorman 2 The Legend Continues


All I can really say here is my expectations were up WAY to high for this film. I had been way way too excited about it for like months.  Then I watched it and I lost a few hours of my life.  The only parts of the movie that solicited a genuine laugh from me were the scenes with Steve Carrell and Kristen Wiig.  Goodness gracious were they awkward and weird.  Can we get a romantic comedy out starting these two please!?

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="570"] via[/caption]

12 Years a Slave


This was by far the best movie I saw this year.  It totally messed with me in a good way.  I do not even know what to tell you other than to see it.  It is a tough movie to sit through and there were many times where I had to just look at my lap.  It is an uncomfortable story that needed to be told.

My only criticism comes with the accents the white people had in the movie.  I adore Benedict Cummerbatch, but it was so hard for me to imagine Sherlock as a Southern slave owner.  The accent that was the strangest for me though was Brad Pitt's.  He had some strangely developed southern accent even though he said he came from CANADA!  Sorry Brad I would have bought it if you said "eh?"

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="607"] via[/caption]

Hobbit 2 The Desolation of Smaug


I loved the Hobbit 2!  I really was not into the first Hobbit movie and I was ready for al the dwarf singing to stop as soon as it began.  However, I could have watched more when it came to the Hobbit 2.  In case you haven't seen it yet I recommend you pick your favorite dwarf at the beginning of the film.  It helps you focus your attention and not get overwhelmed when dwarfs abound.

On another note a few of my students hated this movie.  The only part they liked was that they noticed the elves always have 4 arrows in their quiver even if they just shot 2 arrows.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="620"] via[/caption]

The Lego Movie


Maybe this was my favorite movie this year, maybe not.  I can not decide.  All I know is that I wish I was still teaching British Literature so I could show this movie along side 1984.  I am not sure how but they captured the bleakness of Orwell's work with little yellow people. Totally brill!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="500"] via[/caption]

Saving Mr. Banks


Dear people who marketed this movie, you owe me a box of tissues.  The advertisements of this movie were NOTHING like the movie at all.  When I saw the trailer I was sure it was going to be a feel good family movie about Disney and Mary Poppins.  It was not.

Saving Mr. Banks was the most emotional movie I have seen in a LONG time.  I am pretty sure there as a stead stream of tears for about an hour while I watched the saddest depiction of a daughter father relationship .  It was a great movie though that showed me the redemption that writing can bring to a person's life.  Even though it was not a feel good family movie. it was a poignant and beautifully told story.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="600"] via[/caption]

 

Please remember that I did not see many of the Oscar nominated films.  I actually wanted to see American Hustle and Her, but my friend's schedules kept not working out.  Redbox I have a date with you soon!

What were some of your favorite movies during Oscar season?  Which movies are  you hoping take home an Academy Award?

As always you can link up a Sunday Funday post!  Just follow me, slap the button on your post, and add your link!





8 comments:

  1. I really need to get on it..I haven't seen at least half of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved dalls buyers club. but i really wanted to see 12 years a slave! so mad i missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! I just three weeks off at Christmas so I just saw a ton of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DBC was so good, considering I didn't know what I was watching it worked out. 12 Years is rough, but I am so glad saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loved About Time! (Also Lars and the Real Girl is a fav) Out of all the movies you saw that I saw...that one was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so good! I want to watch it tonight when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, I have not seen many of these so I need to get watching!

    Shannon xo
    http://www.thewildhideaway.com/

    ReplyDelete