Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Guide To Coachella Valley Music Festivals

It is March 6th and that means weekends full of amazing music are only a month away from the California desert!  I love both the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals that will be taking place during April close to Palm Springs, CA.  I am still working out finances to go to one of them, but I thought I would share my tips for these events as you are probably getting ready to go if you bought your tickets early.

A Guide to the Coachella Valley Music Festivals 2014


Coachella Valley Music Festivals


When will I be able to rock out in the desert for three straight days?


Coachella has become so big they have to break it into two weekends.

Weekend 1 - April 11-13

Weekend 2  - April 18-20

Stagecoach is the weekend after Coachella.

Stagecoach - April 25-27

Who will be performing and when?

Check out these super helpful guides that the music festivals have put together!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="450"] via[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="526"] via[/caption]

 

What should I wear? 

Clothing, but not much of it.  I personally am of the opinion that a tank top and shorts is the perfect amount of clothing to wear while jamming out in the desert.  It is really hot so I do not recommend you wear cowboy boots or any real Western wear if you are at Stagecoach.

I know Coachella tends to be a little more hippie in dress.  I am sure some hippies do not wear much clothing while others wear long flowy skirts.  You do you and be happy with what you choose.

This was a typical outfit for me during the festival and I was hot, but I survived and I kept my dignity.

[caption id="attachment_1032" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Please. notice I am clothed and holding a water bottle. I take my own advice very seriously[/caption]

That said plenty of people run around in their bikinis and speedos.  I think that is weird because there is no body of water at the venue (unless you count everyone's sweaty armpits).

Where should I stay?

There are lots of little town within 30 minutes of the venue in Indio.  In case all the hotels there are booked look at the following cities.: Palm Springs, Dessert Hot Springs, 1000 Palms.  I will say that the closer you can stay the better.  Driving a long way after a day in the hot sun and crazy party is not really that great.  I stayed in Desert Hot Springs and it took about 30 minutes to get to the hotel.  I had to fight falling asleep on the drive.

If you can I would recommend getting the shuttle pass to and from the venue.  Many hotels in the area offer shuttles to and from the event, which saves from waiting for forever to leave and if you happen to drink a lot while you are there you will keep us all safe to go back another day.

What can I eat? 

There are a lot of food options once you get inside the event.  Plan to pay more for food that you can get on the outside for a lot less.  Think of it like Disneyland, and you will be OK paying $15 for a burger.  I would also highly recommend buying a poweraid.  It was the best $5 I ever spent and gave me the energy to keep jamming.  There are also beer gardens if you into that kind of thing.  I will advice to drink slowly.  I had half a beer and wanted to die from exhaustion.  Please do not be that girl passed out at first aid, or the guy knocking someone over in your mad dash to puke.

What should I bring in with me?

Empty Water Bottles - Unfortunately you are not allowed to bring in your own water.  You can bring in empty water bottles and fill them up there. Do this like every hour.  It is hot, you are exerting a lot of energy rocking out in 100 degree weather, HYDRATE!

SPF 70-100 - Maybe this is the future mom in me but you are going to be in the sun for three whole days, wear some sunscreen!  Honestly getting sunburned at the event on the first day would be terrible.  I saw penny of people lobster red by the second day and they looked miserable.

Extra Clothes -  You do not have to but I brought an extra tank top one of the days and changed when the sun went down.  I liked feeling kind of fresh for the night and not as disgusting.

Sunglasses and hats - It is bright!  Cover up your lovely eyes and scalp!

Cameras - I wish I had taken more photos while I was at Stagecoach last year.  Really have fun and go selfie crazy!

Towels, Blankets, Chairs - You will want to sit down at some point. Bring whatever you would want for the beach.  I brought three beach towels because they got so gross each day.

Dang that is a lot of stuff!  Where will I keep it all?

You can rent a locker.  I think it was like $20 for the whole weekend, invest.

 What should I  expect?

Heat - I am not sure if you have picked this up yet, but it is hot!  Drink water, go inside the one air-conditioned restaurant there, stay at your hotel in the pool as long as you can before you have to go to the event to see your favorite band, find shade, be smart.

Celebrities - Other than the people performing all weekend many celebrities that are in town will stop by to catch their favorite bands perform.  If you see Ashton Kutcher or a player for the Anaheim Ducks hanging out, be cool, take a photo on your phone, write a blog about it, and move on.

What should I Avoid?

Getting Drunk - come on you paid at least $250 just for the tickets to get in.  Why would you get drunk and forget about it.  Have a few drinks if you want to and then move on.  You will thank me later.

The Confederate Flag Bikini Stand - I do not think I actually need to explain this one further.  Why would you were a Confederate flag at all?  Even if it is a southern pride thing, I just don't think you are sending out the right message.

Where can I find out more information on either event? 

Coachella 

Stagecoach

Will you be going to either or both of these incredible music festivals?  Which one sounds more like the type of festival you would love to go to?

17 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the day that I am able to afford Coachella! This years line-up is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome and informative post!! i have never been to coachella but it's on my festival bucket list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right? It looks like a ton of fun. Way more chill than Stagecoach too, those people be crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it looks amazing! It is on my list of music festivals to go to one of these years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man there is a confederate flag bikini stand?! in other new - i realllly want to go to coachella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! yes it is so weird. They also sell American flag bikinis at the same stand You can probably mix and match, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is an embarrassing fact.. I kind of secretly don't know what Coachella is. I pretend to know but I don't. So you have really opened my eyes...shhhh

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah I wish I could go to stagecoach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love 45 min away from these and I've never been to either!!!! I have always wanted to go to Stagecoach, but it's so damn expensive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you believe I have never been to Coachella? Tear... Now I feel like I might almost be too old for it? That might be the most un-cool thing I have ever said.

    -Rachel @ With Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too! I went last year and it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I am happy I could do that! It is a pretty cool festival and I would love to go one day! I was always curious about it to and did my research after a few friends went.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What! You are so close! Really your major cost would be tickets! When you think about it that is $250 for like 25 concerts. that is only $10 a concert!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could hang! If I go again I am totally going to take my lawn chair and hang with the "older" folks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. well when you put it that way... lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. So helpful! This is definitely on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good! It is so fun and I think everyone can find something they love at each festival.

    ReplyDelete