Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Two Smart Cookies!

I have some pretty major news to share with you today.  These two girls are going back to school!

College


So maybe that is not the most exciting news of most of you.  But for this little professional student and her puppy it is pretty exciting.




[caption id="attachment_1359" align="aligncenter" width="600"]Erica Jacquline The email telling me I was in![/caption]

I am heading to Chapman University in Orange County to earn a PhD in Education emphasizing in Leadership.  I promise this is the last time I will ever say anything this pretentious on the blog again, except for when I graduate with said degree.  You can bet your sweet booty I will remind you of all the work I put in for four to five years.


Going back to school was probably one of the most agonizing decisions I have ever made. I had a lot of details to try and work out in my mind.  Do I have time? Do I want to write papers for grades again? Can I still work and go to school?  If I take out student loans will Obama finally forgive them?  Will people invite me to sit at the cool kids table?  You know all the normal questions a student goes through.


I decided it was time to take the plunge and just dive in and let everything figure itself out.  I do not know what my job will let me do in terms of full time or part time.  I do not know what my income will be or how much I will need to take out in loans. I do not know how it ail will work out, but I know it will work out.  I have a great peace that this is the right decision for me to get where I want to be in my career goals: you know only teaching classes three days a week, writing books, and traveling the world all in the name of education.


As I write this post Penny is sitting here forcing me to play catch with her.  Forcing is the right verb by the way.  She jumps on the couch, then on my stomach, drops her tennis ball on my laptop, and then bites my hand if I do not throw the ball in the next 3.689 nano seconds.


While we are playing catch Penny wanted me to remind you that she is also going to school.  She has been taking puppy classes at Pet Smart for the last month and she is pretty sure she is the baddest dog in California.




[caption id="attachment_1360" align="aligncenter" width="600"]Puppy Gamg Penny: leader of the pack![/caption]

 Penny has had a very interesting run at her education.  The first week we were in class she was the star student.  She sat patiently and watched the teacher, she was the example student, and she didn't bark or bite once.  Week 2 we had a private lesson because someone had to work  at Open House for the school she works for.  The third week Penny decided she was comfortable and that she needed to be the class clown.  She was placed on two time outs and was not allowed to play, because she tried to bite Chiquito.


Then week four came and she became the child I am proud of.  She was back to being good and being comfortable.  She sat at one end of an isle and stayed until I called her from the other side.  When I told her to be nice to Simba she was nice to Simba.  When other dog owners had treats Penny didn't distract everyone and then sneak over and eat ALL. THE. TREATS. (that was a week three adventure).


I am pretty sure that Penny's issues with school are going to be my issues with school.  I will show up week 1 and be shy and everyone will think I am so nice and quiet.  Then Week 2 I will sit towards the front maybe talk to a professor about an assignment on my own and make a friend or two.


Week 3 I might get too big for my britches and answer too many questions in class, or worse ask too many annoying questions in class when everyone is ready to go home.  I might try and bite the gentleman sitting next to me with a Latin name, maybe  Jose or Juan Pablo.  I will have to be in time out twice and I will not like it. But by week 4 I will have settled into my new surroundings and will be fun and confident in myself and maybe even make a few friends along the way.


I really hope no one at Chapman knows about my blog and reads this post.  I am pretty sure that comparing my future doctoral degree to my dog's PetSmart diploma is a huge party foul.  A party foul I am bound to commit again and again.


PS - Penny wants to invite you to her graduation party which will take place in three weeks.  If you can not make it to Southern California you can send your congratulations to her in the form of cash money, addressed to me.

39 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting in!!! That is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!!! Congratulations girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUUUUUDE! That is freakin' AMAZING/AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is so exciting! Congrats girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DO NOT BE SORRY FOR SHARING THIS NEWS! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought Penny was going to school for her PHD in cuteness!!! Congrats on getting in, that's a great school :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I am looking forward to it !

    ReplyDelete
  8. She already earned that one by being born!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much you are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. woo hoo!! Congrats!! So so exciting! The best thing is to be at peace with the decision and have faith that it will all work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!! Sounds like you're on the start of an exciting journey :) Penny too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting! Congrats on getting in! I'm excited to hear about this journey and where it leads you! You'll do great girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so so so exciting! Orange County sounds fun, too! Congratulations!!! I love school too hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brittany RasmussenApril 15, 2014 at 5:57 AM

    Congrats my friend! I have been working on my masters, and my husband is going back to school this fall, so I will listen emphatically when you want to wine about school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Penny and to you! What great accomplishments!! Chapman is a great school!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! I know some people in the education program there! We'll have to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting! I'm stoked for your news and hopefully Penny will follow in your studious footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Erica!!! Chapman is SUCH a great school, and I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so exciting!!!!!! and you know I'm dying over your supposed Week 3. I can't wait for you to blog about Jose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you so much! I am excited to see where it all leads too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you! We are both very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks girl! It is the best thing. I would also like someone to come along and drop a while heap of cash on my desk too. That would really give me peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. thank you! I don't know if I am ready for the work it takes, but I am ready to mix it up and have a little change in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks! I love the OC, it is right across the street from Angel stadium and Honda Center where my Ducks play. It was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you! I keep hearing such great things about Chapman, makes me feel good about my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Hima! I am stocked and I keep hearing people commend Chapman on the quality of the school.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you thank you! She has been such a good little student.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes! I need the dish, please do not tell them I wrote that I might bite one of them in my blog post! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  30. I mean If Penny is indication it is going to happen! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay! Congrats :D. Soon we will have to start referring to you as "Doctor."

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks! Please no Doctor, that is too fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. congrats on taking the big leap...

    ReplyDelete