Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

So You Want to Start A Blog - Time Management

I love that the topics I have planned fall on weeks that I am not really amazing at the topic.  I reckon that is the beauty of blogging though right?  We all have things we can improve on or get better at.

Today's topic is coming at you in regard to the thing that is honestly one of the most difficult to manage and limit: the amount of time we spend working on our blogs.

Start a Blog Week 8 Time

 

1. Set a time limit 

I set a limit for my self with writing most of my posts to one hour.  that might sound like a  lot for some of you and it might sound like a little to some of you.  Most of my posts are pretty wordy and I want to make sure I convey myself right and spend time editing when needed.  An hour really gives me enough time to write, edit, add photos, and maybe create a photo for the post.  Obviously there are some posts that take a ton more time and need a lot of photos and planning.  If I cannot finish in an hour I will usually walk away and do something else and come back with fresh eyes and finish later.

2. Set aside time to read other blogs

About three times a week I set aside an hour or so to read my sponsor's blogs and all the blogs I love and make a point to comment on them.  Ideally I would do this every day and maybe I will this summer when life slows down.  I have to set time restrictions, because it is so easy to get sucked into the world of blogs and not actually move from the couch for a few hours which is doing nothing for my bikini booty!

3. No words> Turn your computer off. 

I think the worst habit I have is sitting at the computer and dork around for far too long when I do not have a really good idea.  I will check Facebook and see what link my mom sent me about eating more carrots or whatever it is, look at Instagram, read some blogs, shop on Amazon and a few hours go by and I have less money because I impulse bought a heart rate watch and still no post is up.

4. Decide how much time you want to spend sponsoring blogs

Do you want to only spend about an hour a month sponsoring other blogs?  Then just sponsor one.  It takes time to write your guest posts and find cute pictures that flatter you and your dog at the right angle!

5. If you accept sponsors know your limits

I actually am planning on writing on accepting sponsorships next week, but it ties into time management. Accepting Sponsors on my blog has been the best and most time consuming part of blogging, emails, social media, posts, reading blogs  it all takes time.  Time that I like to spend, but it is still time.  Be honest with yourself, if you do not have a few hours every week to dedicate to this then you might need to start small and offer 1-5 spots per month.  It is better to start small and grow than to overdo it and not be able to keep up with what you are promising people.

6. Make some time to make things pretty

Make a list of priorities for beautifying your blog and try to accomplish things one week or month at a time.  Want a new blog button? Great give yourself some time this month to make it happen.  Also hiring a blog designer is a great assets if ou can afford it.

7. LIVE YOUR LIFE!

Like I said it is easy to get sucked into the computer and lose time. I think the beauty of lifestyle blogs is that we are al pretty busy ladies that love to write or take photos and share them with others.  If you are not active in the world your blog will suffer and your content will be stale.  Get out there shake it up, choose life over the computer.  There will always be down time later just grab your computer while you watch the season finale of How I Met Your Mother and pound out a post then.

What are some topics you might like me to address in this series? I have ideas for the next few weeks, but would totally love to know what you think and what you would like to hear about as well.

What are some things you do to help you manage your time with blogging and life?

29 comments:

  1. Great tips! It's sometimes the same cycle around and around every week - I love the idea of doing something beautiful for your blog every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blogging is so time consuming! Right now at school I have a ton of free time but when I am home with Jamal and Colby J I hardly ever open my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list! I have been a bad blogger lately, just kind of super lazy... but I LOVE reading the blogs! I can't wait to get back into it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love this post. You rock for sharing all your wisdom with folks!


    http://cheriarmour.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I down right suck at time management when it comes to blogging so reading this was perfect for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time management is seriously not my forte. I spend more time on the blog than I should. Woops. These are helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true that the time can disappear all too quickly! The setting a time limit--I'm going to work from now till noon, or whatever it may be, really helps me with focusing and accomplishing the important stuff before the time runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post, Erica. Some fantastic suggestions for new and old bloggers. I am going to try to implement your timed posts write. I always theoretically try to do my posts in an hour, and then like you said I dink around forever and take closer to two. And I totally agree about sponsorships being time consuming- I had no idea when I started how much extra time it would take. I still love it, but you definitely gotta allow much more time in your blogging schedule to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all of these... ESPECIALLY #3 and #7 - those are the ones I find myself struggling with the most. Sometimes one leads to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome tips! I need to start sponsoring some blogs but I'm so nervous! I already consume a lot of time on my blog and reading other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. at the end of the day we have to remember to live our life so we can have something to blog about later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know right? I have to put the computer away when people are present. there is always something I can fill my time with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks girly! I think it helps make it a lot more manageable and then it builds on the pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! It is just so easy to get sucked into the blackhole of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too! I am excited for spring break and a week of nothing planned to get back into the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exactly. The time limit helps me so much and I get a lot more done in less time too. win win

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! I can not imagine blogging when I was in college, I probably would have flunked out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Word sister! It is easy to just sit and stare. Getting up and getting out totally helps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank bonnie! I have taken to just closing the computer after I save my draft and walking away if I didn't finish it in my time limit. It helps so much to focus on other things and come back when I am ready to write again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exactly! My blog seems to be better when I am crazy busy and have way less time to be on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is totally nerve wracking at first. totally go with a blogger you trust and see how it goes. It can be a really positive experience!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Set a specific time. The best advice I could give anyone. You can literally spend hours if you let yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these posts. I actually just shared the series with a friend who is starting a blog, but they are great tips even for people that have been blogging a while (like me.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for these tips. I am totally with you where If I don't set time limits I could just get lost in the blogging world forever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is just so dang easy to lose yourself in it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for sharing! I hope they are helpful I have learned too while writing them.

    ReplyDelete