Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

15 Ways to Avoid Signing Petitions - Listed Friday

I am so excited for the first of many Listed Friday linkups! First, thank you so much for linking up today.  Second, if you did not link up this week we are cool, just come back next week.

 

Like I said in the link up announcement on Wednesday the idea for this post and then the link up came to me while I was at Target buying some essentials, Easter candy and capri yoga pants.  On my way in I noticed a sight I never want to see; two men in their late 20s holding clipboards asking patrons if they are registered to vote…. The Petition People.
I am not sure how these Petition People roll in your neck of the woods but in Southern California they are aggressive and rude.  I have been followed to my car after I finished shopping at Trader Joe's while they yell at me to sign their petition.  They have also stand outside the post office terrorizing old people, and they often hit on pretty girls that sign their petitions.  They are just winning life.
Whenever I pull up to Target or a shop in that center and I see them I go through my list of ways to get them to leave me alone.  My favorite is to say "I am only seventeen, sorry I can't vote."  That one usually will work.  However, this time the Petition Person chased after me and yelled "Are you really?!  Are you sure?!"  I decided that it was time to brainstorm some new ways to get around this particularly aggressive herd of Petition People.

Here are my 15 ways to avoid signing a petition.


 

Petition

1. I am only fourteen.  (This one quit working when they would follow me to my car)

2. I am only seventeen. (It felt right to say seventeen, I can drive but I can't vote)

3. I am not a citizen of this country. (preferably said in some sort of an accent)

4.  I am a Libertarian. Ron Paul 2020!

5. The character Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec was based on my father.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="717"] via[/caption]

6. I have already signed this petition five times, that is the limit right?

7.  I live in the desert with thirteen guns and a bomb shelter.

8.  I am not registered to vote but my dog Mr. Nigglesworth is.

9. I would love to sign your petition, can you just help me figure out how to use my new Instagram account? I have like 34 photos of my cats I want to post. What is a filter?

10. Sure I would love to sign your petition.  Let's take a selfie together and tweet it #petetionsigningattarget #epic #government

11.  Are you coming on to me?  How would your boss feel about that?

12. Sure I will sign it will you just hold all five bags of tampons I just bought, they were on sale. (yells) Thanks so much for holding my tampons! You are a gem!

13. I don't know how to read!  (Then run away crying)

14.  Sure, I am recovering from the flu so make sure you stand good and close to me.

15.  Is this the job you thought you would have when you were 12?  Where did it all go downhill?

Bonus!! I will sign yours if you sign mine.  I am trying to make it illegal for people to stand outside of Target and harass people to sign petitions that no one cares about.
Erica Jacquline


In order to participate in Listed you will need to:


- Follow Erica Jacquline  on Bloglovin (It is only polite)
- Write a post about anything you want that includes a list of sorts
- Add the Listed Button to your post
- Come by Erica Jacquline on Fridays and add your link
- Read other posts, comment, and make new friends
- Shower, rinse, repeat each week




27 comments:

  1. Well, I'm hoping the "I'm not old enough to vote" trick can still work for a few more years for me--I mean I do wear fucshia tights and kitty-ear headbands and all manner of ridiculous clothes so that should help. And every once in a while Angel gets accused of being an illegal immigrant (side note: weird!) so if we're together we could just chatter away in Spanish and look confused....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh I'm loving #15!!!! My mom isn't a citizen so I use that one when I'm with her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA. I love all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever been asked to sign a petition offline. The wonders of my tiny town! If I did I'd probably just ask what it's about and see if I agree with it. I mean, takes as long as lying to say, "Actually I disagree with this,"... though that might prompt them to convince me I'm wrong. In which case I can probably use the not a citizen bit. It helps that I'm bilingual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha! I love it! I might have to take your fashion with me when I go to Target from now on serif it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "8. I am not registered to vote but my dog Mr. Nigglesworth is." BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Note to self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good one. I really think 15 could revolutionize the petitioning world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it sounds mean to lie. I have tried to be nice but they are really rude and usually their petitions are very hateful and strange. I would like to just walk away without any interaction, but they pester, chase and harass. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right? Who would want you to sign a legal petition after that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I get all Change.org emails into my spam folder because I can't seem to goddamn unsubscribe so I totally get it. I'm just also a person who occasionally pesters people to sign petitions, lol. Though, okay, I mostly link and retweet without bugging anyone in particular so I'm miles ahead of your standard misguided petition-pusher.

    ReplyDelete
  11. people tell michael all the time that he looks like a young ron swanson. so winning?! haha this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG the petition people and the damn mall kiosk people drive me crazy and I'm totally smiling and nodding right along with all of these! I had a cashier ask me for an id for the lotto meaning I look 11 years younger, so I could sometimes pass for 14 or 17!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH My Gosh. #6 - I have used that one plenty of times. I heard it from someone in college and never stopped since!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With number 6...What if there are less than 5 signatures?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahhaaahh this is awesome, Erica!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get carded everywhere, I like it :) I would much rather look young that old.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is awesome! I never heard it before, but I felt like it had to be out there already.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally hear ya! I think it is just the in person pushiness that pushes my buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea! I will have to take part next week!!!! :) (Living in Chicago, I've gotten used to just saying "NO" the second they start talking to me. Rude? Probably. But are they annoying? Um, YEAH.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay...thanks for the clarification

    ReplyDelete
  21. I usually just walk away too. FOr some reason the ones at Target and Trader Joes are relentless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. those people are crazies!! Glad we don't have too many of them here

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is nice! I wish I had none here!

    ReplyDelete