Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

So You Want To Start A Blog - Social Media

In case you have not been here for very long here are the other three posts in the series.

Week 1 - Before You Write A Word
Week 2  - Basic Blog Design
Week 3 - Content

So You Want To Start A Blog - Social Media

 

This week I am going to keep it short and sweet cause occasionally my real life job, the one that supports my blogging addiction, gets really busy and I need to work from home for an evening.

If you are starting a blog or have had a blog for a while here are my tips to make yourself known to the world.  Anyone can start a blog, but it takes a ton of self promotion.  One of the best ways to grow your blog and get readers is to be active on social media.

If you are a secret blogger I guess you should make new social media accounts.  I personally like it when people in my real life know about my blog and talk about it.  I spend so much time blogging that it would seem strange to not be able to have that conversation with people.

With everything social media related there is a fine line between being informative and being annoying.  It takes time to figure out the balance and it might even change from day to day.  My go to for promoting posts is this 4 tweets in a day, 1 Facebook post, 3 Instagram specific posts, and as many pins as I can muster a week.  This is a loose guideline and it changes daily.

Email 
I think that you should make an email for your blog. I used my personal email for my blog and it was just confusing and too much.

Bloglovin'
I personally love bloglovin.  It is by far the site that generates the most traffic to my little blog. One of the strangest things that I have seen is blogs that are looking for followers but do not have a link to bloglovin'.  If you do not have Bloglovin' I am pretty sure you do not care if I follow your blog.

Twitter
Next up is my twitter account.  I think it is probably the most used social media site for the bloggers of the world.  If you are going to give a shout out to someone, it will probably be on Twitter.  If you want to say "Hey I like your blog and if we met in real life we would be best friends #notcreepy"

Pinterest
If you have some extra time I highly recommend you make your images in your post "pinable."  For this series I pin the main image and I have actually generated a lot of traffic from Pinterest once a week.  I am not a graphic designer and I do not have a ton of time to spend making things look Pinterest Perfect, but once our twice a week I take a little extra time to do this one thing to help my blog grow.

Facebook
I guess people still use Facebook.  I might have a different take on Facebook than other people, but I sometimes feel like it is a waste of time.  I will say that when I first started blogging Facebook was my favorite way to promote my blog. I would post it on my personal Facebook page and my mom and family would read a few of my posts.  After a few months I started a blog page and only people who follow that page can see my posts.  Create one if you want to, update it with your posts, and move on.

Instagram 
I think Instagram is my favorite form of social media.  I love that I have a more personal connection with some followers and I can see what they are up to.  I do not think it brings people directly to my blog, because you can not put links in your photo captions.  I really love Instagram though and I think it helps readers get a more complete picture elf you as a person.

Google+
So I do not really get Google+ but I will use it.  I post all my posts on Google+ because I think it helps them get higher in search engines when you google.  It makes sense right, Google+, Google same thing man!

So what do you think?  Is there any social media that I missed that you would recommend to a blogger? What is your recommendation for self promotion across social media.

24 comments:

  1. I agree on Facebook, although I don't publicize my blog to people I know, so I don't have it linked to my personal Facebook page. Facebook has really made small pages obsolete without paying for advertising. I'm also not a fan of Google +, but I feel like it's gaining a little bit more of a following.
    Also, if I don't see a Bloglovin' button to follow or can't find you on Bloglovin' then I'm moving on and changes are not great that I'm coming back. I need it to be easy to follow you, because I won't be able to remember your url. Sad, but true. :)


    I'm loving this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally agree with the email. also, i did a whole post on why you need facebook for your blog. some may find it outdated but it is necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree-- I love twitter & bloglovin! I haven't quite figured out google+ either but I try and use it from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I need to start using social media more for my blog, There are just some people that I don't specifically want to read it, but then others I do! So hard to decide which is more important, but more followers would make me happy so posting is going to happen eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish I understood Google +! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about the Facebook right now for promoting- my family and friends are able to share my posts which makes it helpful to spread the word. I do the Google+ thing but honestly I don't get it either... This series is great- thank you!

    - Rebekah @ Blue Giraffes and Concrete Jungles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great suggestion about Pinterest. I never thought to pin my own blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh pinterest. I am currently working on a post about why I can't deal with it. I know its great for blogging but its just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree on the whole facebook thing. I just can't stand using it! BUT I do through buffer, that has helped tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember your post on Facebook! It is actually the only reason why I still use it for my blog, I honestly get like on view a day from Facebook though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks girl! I have fun writing it! It is funny that Bloglovin has become such a huge deal. I remember when it came out everyone was afraid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, i don;t think anyone gets Google+ but we use it! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can always start a non blog twitter or a strictly blog twitter (other social media) I know a lot of bloggers have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think someone who works for Google+ should do a tutorial or something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah it can help a lot. I get a few views a day just from pinning a few images a week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks girl! I loved Facebook before I found out there were people in the world who would read a blog that didn't know you! I think it served a very important role in the growth of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes indeed. I feel like it helps my mom find my blog really easily!

    ReplyDelete
  18. IT is hard for me too. I don't Pinterest regularly so it is hard for me to get into it. I like it when I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yeah I don't think facebook is super helpful but I still use it. I would agree that bloglovin and pinterest are the biggest ways to get people to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think I can have instagram, because I don't have a smartphone or i-anything. But I have most of the social media stuff all hooked up to my blog, they can be fun and great tools as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep. As soon as I dissed Facebook this week It beat out twitter in referrals, well played Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shoot dog! If you ever get a smart phone or ipad or tablet instagram is a must. I actually thought it was dumb, but my sister talked me into it. She was right it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. […] we are getting down to it now.  I have talked about content, social media, reading other blogs, and basic design. All of that is wonderful and it will greatly help the […]

    ReplyDelete