Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Isn't It Ironic?

Guys, its official, I'm old.  I might as well find a plot and get ready to die.  Yes I look like I am 21 year old, but really I am 28 and apparently it is time to pack it up for this little life.
 
Maybe I am being a little bit dramatic, but this morning I had one of those moments that I knew would come and I never wanted to come. 
 
When I was a kid my family would listen to the "oldies" station wherever we went.  It was fun and I know tons of music because my parents had a wide appriciation of music.  They knew all the songs and had stories about where they where when this song was popular.  These stories were usually prefaced with, "You weren't even a glimmer in my eye at that time."  After these conversations I thought, "Wow these guys are old!"
 
In my irrational brain I had the idea that as soon as I heard songs on the "oldies" station that were from my generation I would be officially old.  I figured I had until I was 40.  I was so wrong.  I only had 28 short years of life before "it" happened. 
 
I was driving to work and the only station not playing commercials was the "oldies" station. I stopped to listen and then the melodies of Alanis Morissette drifted into my car.  I was grooving for a while, who doesn't love her non-ironic portrayal of life in "Isn't it Ironic?"  Then I realized what station I was listening to... the OLDIES station.  I almost crashed my car right then and there. 

Sorry for the dramatics.  I am not going to go kill myself I was just traumatized.  How could a song from the 90s be on the oldies station?  I mean there is no way that song is more than 20 years old.  I am not an oldie and my music is not an oldie.  What will they play next? Britney? Nsync? I don't even want to think about it.

I have nothing left to say today.  I am going to go sulk in my office and remember the "good old days" when I was young and happy!

 photo Signature_zps032dabba.png

7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure anything that plays music after 1973-5 can be considered an "Oldies" station in my book. The ones I think of only play hits from the '50's, '60's, and early '70's. After that they just become awesome stations that play anything, though I prefer just the Oldies & '80's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely don't consider it a real oldies station if it's playing Alanis Morsette. Come on! Oldies is definitely 50s-70s to me. Also I love the song irnoic... I use it every tear to teach my kids about irony. Most of them have never heard it before. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! That station always plays songs from between the 50s-70s UNTIL today when Alanis came on :( I use it in my class too! One former student emails me whenever she hears it on the radio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you man! Usually they play real oldies, which was why I was so distraught! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was played on the oldies station?? I would'nt consider than an oldies song. I think of The Beach Boys and The Beatles when I hear the word "oldies".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I remember working with an intern at my office when I was 24 years old. A Screaming Trees song was on my radio and I asked her if she liked the band. Her response was that "She wasn't really into classic rock." Being told that what you liked in high school is now classic rock to someone in college was a real punch to the gut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a station here called KQRS, and their tagline used to be playing all the hits from 80's, 90's and today, but then all of a sudden I was flipping through and it's all like now playing all the hits from the 90's, 2k and today, I was like OH MY GOD! I'm so old and I'm only 21!

    ReplyDelete