Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sweet Up!

I am beyond grateful for Labor Day!  My school may do somethings strange but they give us a four day weekend for Labor Day so for now we are cool.

This mini vacation came at the right time for me.  School is in full force over here and I have to tell you this has been the most difficult start to a new year I have had.  I am sure it is because I work in the office now and I see all the ends and outs of what exactly is going on.  It isn't pretty my friends.  I honestly thought I was going to have a break down from all the stress and nonsense I was dealing with.  I am 1000% convinced that if I were in charge of everything the world would be a better place.  But because I am only in charge of myself the world suffers.  

The only thing that really got me through the last two weeks was the fact that I am still teaching one class of Psychology this year.  It is the bright spot in my day and the only part of the day I look forward to. 

I loved teaching Psych last year.  It is such a special class.  The kids learn so much about me and my friends I use as case studies.  They share the most interesting facts about themselves.  We take naps when we are learning about sleep and watch a ton of movies to illustrate points.  Really I feel like this class is a little club and only the cool kids are in on the amazing things that happen during 9th period.   Teaching this class last year made me know that I have to get my PhD and teach at the university level, it is just better subject matter there. 

Sorry to any former student reading this post, but this year's class is already my favorite ever.  I only have 17 kids in the class and they all come from very diverse backgrounds.  They are outgoing and energetic and already love to be silly and academic at the same time.  

The first chapter I teach from the book is terrible.  I mean I fell asleep the first time I read it.  I tell the kids it is terrible and we just need to get through it and then everything will be a lot more fun.  The first two weeks I give lectures, and try and make 2000 plus years of the history of psychology interesting. Whenever I see them start to get sleepy I usually will tell them something weird about Freud, like how he did enough cocaine to kill a small horse (anyone know what movies that line is from?)

After my lectures this week the strangest thing started to happen.  My whole class would start to clap for me.  At first I thought they were just clapping because it was over, which was part of it, but they were expressing how happy they were to learn too. I am telling you this is a special class. 

This is pretty much my class. 
They are bright, funny, and inquisitive students.  I honestly wish I was teaching full time still.   One of my favorite moments came when a student told a friend to shut-up.  I hate it when they talk like this and I usually remind them that we do not use the "S word" in my classroom.  They always look confused but then realize what I mean.  One girl turned to her friend and said "Please Sweet up!"  It is my new favorite thing they say.  Everyone needs to sweeten up from time to time. 

I am so so happy that I am still teaching this class.  I am also looking forward to the weird things that are going to happen as a result of this class.  Psychology is truly my favorite subject to teach because it is so personal and interesting.  The conversations that arise in this class are priceless and I am so grateful that I found something I love to do. 

Happy weekending and don't forget to Sweet Up!

 photo Signature_zps032dabba.png

No comments:

Post a Comment