Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blogging, Beaching, Running

This weekend was so jam packed with fun and friends I totally need a day off to recover from it all!



A weekend of OC Bloggers, brunch, beach views, and the Brea8K race!


The weekend started off with an OC Blogger event.  I saw Melyssa advertise it on her blog The Nectar Collective that there was going to be a brunch for Orange County, California bloggers and I felt like I had to go, and I am so glad that I did.


20140223-152033.jpg


The event was held at Great Over Good in Santa Ana and was a perfect, creative space.  It was a joy to meet other bloggers in person, eat some amazing food, and pretend I am crafty.


20140223-152046.jpg




[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="717"]20140223-152053.jpg I made a craft and even tied a ribbon on it. Please do not notice that the ribbon could have been shorter.[/caption]

One of my favorite movements came from Jess from Jess Loves This Life.  As soon as she met me she said "Penny!" and I knew I would love her.  I told Penny she had a fan and she has been unbearable ever since!




[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="717"]20140223-152024.jpg Jess from Jess Loves This Life![/caption]

Another highlight for me was meeting RachelNicole, and Raewyn in person. I had already read their blogs so it was cool to meet them face to face after reading and sponsoring their blogs.

I think the best part of the day for me on a personal note was not just meeting more bloggers, which was amazing, but being encouraged that pursuing my PhD was the right thing to be doing.  I was kind of getting discouraged and considering not doing it next year.  Some of the ladies that were there were are actually working as professors already or were in school.  They totally gave me the encouragement I needed to know that I was making the right choice and that even though it would be hard it was worth it.  Um hello working 3 days a week!

After the brunch I decided I needed some "Erica Time" and went down to San Clemente for a few hours to walk around and soak up the beach.

I love San Clemente.  It is my favorite beach town to just go and hang out and shop, eat and walk along the beach.  It is not overcrowd like some of the beaches in Southern California and it is relaxed and welcoming.

While I was there I tried my hand at using my camera a little more and took a few photos to document the lovely day. The first four photos were of a cute little shop on Del Mar that had awesome shabby chic furniture and handmade signs. I would have spent my whole paycheck there if there was a way to get it all home.

Erica jacquline San Clemente

Erica Jacquline San Clemente

Erica Jacquline San clemente

Erica Jacquline San Clemente
Then I went down to the pier and took some photos of the scenery.  Sorry if you do not like beachy ocean photos.  This would be the time to quite reading my blog if you hate beauty.


Erica Jacquline San Clemente



[caption id="attachment_891" align="aligncenter" width="620"]San Clemente Pier San Clemente Pier[/caption]

Erica jacquline San Clemente

DSC_0274

I also had the opportunity to participate in an 8K this weekend, I thought it was a 5K but whatever, I owned it.

Truth be told I didn't run that much. I ran enough so that when I say "I ran in an 8K" it isn't a lie.  It was a very fast walk though and I beat all those old people and children so that as all that mattered.  If you are thinking about a 5K or 8K or half marathon or whatever, just do it.  It was really fun and not at all terrible.

[caption id="attachment_894" align="aligncenter" width="620"]I ran in the 8k Brea Classic and the picture a stranger took of me was tragic so all you get is this to prove I did it. I ran in the 8k Brea Classic and the picture a stranger took of me was tragic so all you get is this to prove I did it.[/caption]

One last note before I leave you for today.  I just want the world to realize I am so smart when it comes to hockey.  I made the following prediction on Friday's post, A Girl's Guide to Olympic Hockey, and I was right!  If only I was in Vegas at the Sports Book and I could have made a few dollars.

[caption id="attachment_868" align="aligncenter" width="600"]Bam! I called it! Bam! I called it![/caption]



Linking up with Rachel and Emily today as I provided a wrap up and I am grateful for the great weekend I had!


The Rachael Way



Ember Grey.


I also ail be continuing my series on starting a blog tomorrow with the following theme:



Erica Jacquline So You Want To Start A Blog

45 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of the beach! I have met bloggers before and some of them are now dear friends, isn't it fun to meet them "in real life?!" Happy Monday, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures.. I'm missing the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley @ Married to the GameFebruary 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

    That's awesome that you went to a blogger event and got to meet other bloggers. I've only met one other blogger and I really want to go to an event! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so fun! I think there needs to be more face to face meetings in blogging. #inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to make you miss the coast. I will send some sunshine your way and try and post more pretty pictures if that makes you feel close to the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend it! It really was a ton of fun to talk to people who just get your blog problems and "speak the same blog language!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man your beach photos are making me want sunshine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogger meetups are the best. I am glad you met so many wonderful adn encouraging women!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate pictures of the beach because it means I'm not AT the beach but looking on jealously as someone else is. Ha! Beautiful pictures and the blogger event looks so fun! I am trying to find one close to me that I can go to :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun and what great pictures!! I wish there was a meet up near me in Atlanta, GA! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree! I wish I went to a meet up sooner, I was a little afraid until recently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will send some positive thoughts your way to get some sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you find one, it was the highlight of my weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You never know! I randomly saw this one last week and decided I wanted to go. Be on the lookout for more Atlanta bloggers, or start one yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO glad I got to meet you and fan girl over Penny!! Hope to see you at the next event!!! HUGS for Penny! And for you I suppose...mostly Penny though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun weekend, Erica! I went to a big blogger event a few months back and it was neat to be around like-minded people :) I'm glad you got the motivation you needed and I'm happy to read that you'll carry on with your PhD ... if it was meant to be easy, everyone would be doing it. I'm rooting for ya! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wanted to go to a blogging event and meet other bloggers!! Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that sounds like the BEST weekend! I'm jealous of the warm weather and the blogger brunch, meeting other blogger's is the BEST, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just recently ran a 5k and it also wasnt so bad. I power walked most of it but I beat the little kids, that counts for something lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fact that you read my blog and knew who penny was totally made my whole weekend! I will be at more hangouts. I would even love to help if ya'll need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. DO IT! It is a little awkward at first, but you will be totally fine and make new friends. It is my new favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for your encouragement! That is one thing I have loved about blogging and getting to know some more people is that for the most part we all want to see each other do well and be happy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You go girl! Whenever I saw a child in front of me I ran to beat them. There was no way I was going to let those little legs beat me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so great! I am not sure why I was scared to do it before this year, but whatever. It is super fun !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can't wait for tomorrow ! :) Thanks for linking up. What a fun meetup. Meeting other bloggers is always such a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "I beat all those old people and children so that as all that mattered" <-- hahahaha. Dying laughing over this. This would SO be me! Sounds like you had the best weekend! What was the craft you made? It looks like it would smell/taste good?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That sounds like a pretty awesome weekend! It's always just a bit surreal to actually meet another blogger and see them in "3D". :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good job finishing the 8k :)


    So fun that you got to meet some other bloggers. I love that.


    Yes! I am very jealous of your beachy pics and sunny weather

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats on the 8K! run or walk - still impressive :) and I want to be on the beach! so beautiful!
    forlaurenandlauren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your blogger meet up sounded like a lot of fun! I only ever went on one, and it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your blog

    followed

    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  32. the blogger meetup looks so awesome and i'm so jealous of the beach, especially since it is currently snowing. waaaah.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am glad I am not alone in my quest for old people and young people domination!
    It is a sugar scrub. Clearly it needs to be mixed together but I like the unfinished look :) It is really easy to make too if you want to know how let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  34. sorry! I will send you warm thoughts. We are about to get rain for a few days if that is any consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  35. tehe 3d! It is true, but it is so fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. They are great! I would go again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks girl! I want to live at the beach more than anything. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  38. sad day. we are are going to get rain this week, but it is not the same as snow.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would love the recipe to that scrub when you have a sec!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks girly! I loved every minute of it. Would do it again and again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fantastic weekend! After our "conversation" the other day(s), I decided I needed to see a game so we bought tickets to the Pens/Ducks game next Friday! I had forgotten it was coming up, so thank you. I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  42. NICE! That should be a good one! The Penguins and the Ducks always fight hard in their games! I haven't been to a game since December! I am trying to decide if I am going to one or if I am saving my money for a playoff game, cause we know my Ducks are winning the cup this year!

    ReplyDelete