Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Girl's Guide To Olympic Hockey

After watching my twitter feed blow up today with new found hockey fans I realized there was much confusion over the fine sport of hockey and I should do something about it.  So I put together a VERY basic hockey guide for you fans out there.

I know I left a ton off and I hope I got nothing wrong.  Stick with these simple rules and ways to make the games fun and you will go far in life.

The basic things you need to about Olympic Hockey finals this weekend.


The Game


The Games Hockey 2014

Basics


Periods

Hockey games are 60 minutes long.  The game is divided in to three Periods of 20 minutes each. There are two Intermissions of 20 minutes between the first and second period.

How Many People Play on Each Team


Each team has 25 men on the roster.  During the game each team can only have 6 men on the ice.

1 Goalie

2 Defensemen

3 Forwards

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="475"] Via[/caption]

Points

Players and teams get points for scoring

Goals - the puck goes in net and the team and the player get a point

Assists - the person or 2 people who pass the puck to the player that scores the goal get a player point for the assist.

Penalties


Major Penalty - If a major penalty is called the player that it is against has to sit out of the game for 5 minutes in the penalty box.

Minor Penalty - If a minor penalty is called the player has to stay in the penalty box for 2 minutes.

Below are four of the most common penalties that are called and a brief explanation of what they are.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="509"] via[/caption]

Power Play

When a player has been given a penalty and sits out for 2 or 5 minutes the team continues with one man less.  For example 4 on 5.  The team with five players is on a Power Play and the team with 4 players is trying to kill the penalty.

Short Handed Goal

If a team with less players during a Power Play (Short Handed) scores a goal it is a Short handed goal.

Fighting

In NHL hockey there is a five minute penalty for fighting.  International hockey rules are more strict and result in being ejected from the game

Pulling the Goalie

NOT what you might be thinking!

It is actually not a penalty, but what a team might do if they are down by a goal in the final minutes of a game. A coach may "Pull the Goalie" leaving the net unattended.  They can then send another player to the ice to increase their odds of scoring a goal in a 6 on 5 situation.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="609"] via[/caption]

Ties


Rules for Overtime are different in the NHL, International Hockey, and even in Stanley Cup Playoffs.  Here are the International (Olympic Rules)

For each overtime ends as soon as a team scores a goal. So if a team scores in the first minute of overtime the game is over.

Preliminary round: 4 0n 4 overtime for 5 minutes.

Playoff rounds (qualifications round, quarterfinals, semifinals, bronze medal): 4 on 4 overtime for 10 minutes.

Gold medal game: 4 0n 4 20 minute over time.  There is another 20 minute intermission between the 3rd period and overtime.

If neither team scores a goal in overtime the game goes to a shootout.

Shootouts: A team has to choose three unique players to shoot.  If the shoot out is tied the team can send the same men to keep making shots on the goal until one team makes an unanswered goal from the other team.

For example the US vs. Russia Game went to a shootout.  After the first three rounds it was tied 1-1.  Each team sent the same player five times to score and Oshie from the US finally made a goal that Russia couldn't answer.

Fun


Choose Your Boyfriend

Look at the rosters for the people on the remaining teams and pick the one you think is the hottest.  Then each time he scores a goal or gets an assist he did it for you!  By the way Teemu Selanne from the Ducks is everyone's boyfriend because he is so sweet and kind off the ice. He is also in his 6th and final Olympics and is the oldest person to score an Olympic goal.  He is just amazing!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="320"] via[/caption]

Make Up Nicknames

Teemu is called the Finish Flash, how cool is that. See how many nicknames you can come up with for the players.

Have a Drink

Drink when ever you want it is Hockey after all!  There need not be a drinking game. A player scored a goal, drink. A Canadian said "Eh", drink.  You have no idea what happened, drink. I of course am talking about coffee because these games are EARLY like 4am early!

Erica Jacquline's Picks for Olympic Hockey 2014

All loser consolations prizes or Bieber are based on the following billboard for the semi final game:

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="600"] via[/caption]

I know it is sad and I should say the US over Finland but Teemu!  Really I watch for the players I love and national pride does not have much to do with it for me.  My loyalty goes 1. Ducks 2. Nation.

If you want to know more about which NHL teams has players in the Olympics there is a complete list here.

If you want to what players I love here is my list

Canada! Ryan Getzlaf and Correy Perry

Finland - Teemu Selanne, Sami Vatanen

USA - Cam Fowler

Sweden - Jakob Silverberg

Now go forth and sing "Oh Canada" because if the US can't win they should!

21 comments:

  1. hahah this is great! love the sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is fun to make little boxes of information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative!! I knew next to nothing about hockey but now I'm a little smarter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! That was my goal! Mission accomplished. Also please not I am right so far! Finland won today and Canada better win tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,I found your blog through the OC Blogger brunch. I don't think we actually met on Saturday but I couldn't not comment on this post. Any fan of hockey is a friend of mine! I love this, it's a great breakdown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. […] I am so smart when it comes to hockey.  I made the following prediction on Friday’s post, A Girl’s Guide to Olympic Hockey, and I was right!  If only I was in Vegas at the Sports Book and I could have made a few […]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! If we both go to another one we better hang out! Are you a Ducks fan too?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post... Yes I am a little behind and this has already happened but oh well... =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I don't care if you are behind, I appreciate you reading and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope we'll get the chance to chat at another event.

    I am actually a Penguins fan, the Ducks are one of my least favorite teams if I'm being honest. It's kind of a long story but I grew up in Cincinnati where we didn't have an NHL team. When I was younger, we had an IHL team, the Cyclones and that's where I fell in love with the sport. When I was in jr. high school, the Anaheim Ducks decided to put a farm team in Cincinnati (I think they were in the AHL but I could be wrong) and our city with not so many hockey fans couldn't support 2 hockey teams. Eventually, both teams folded and there was no hockey in Cincinnati at all. I was devastated and I've held a grudge against the Ducks ever since (although, the Mighty Ducks movies are some of my favorite movies). Now that they've changed their uniforms, I don't shudder every time I see them, so I guess my hate for them is lessening. Lemieux is my all time favorite player and he's why I became a Pens fan. My husband and I keep saying we're going to go to a Ducks game when they play Pittsburgh or Detroit (his team) but we haven't made it yet.

    jes

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! True life? You understand hockey better than I do and I've been watching games for the past 7 years. lolololol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw man! why did the Ducks have to make you hate them! Just remember the joy of the mighty Ducks movies and let that wash over you when you feel extreme hatred! Also Teemu. How can you hate a team that has Teemu?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love Teemu. My friend is his next door neighbor in Helsinki. I keep threatening to show up in the off season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What? impossible! I feel like hockey is easy to fake though, just make sure you cheer when the puck gets in the other teams net!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't threaten I would just be there! I heard that he is always at the rinks in Anaheim because his kids play hockey. My friend has met him a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I ever decide to go I'll let ya know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. […] Anaheim Ducks.  In case you do not believe me or think I am a bandwagoner, you can read of my love here here and […]

    ReplyDelete