Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Things I've Done For Like

It is Monday and the Seahawks are the new champions of the world, or just of football for one year.
20140202-214805.jpg

20140202-214815.jpg

The photos above are of the fine folks I watched the game with.  Laura and Adam are some of my dear friends from all the way back in college.  Adam is from Seattle and turned 30 yesterday.  Pretty much the best day of his life, other than getting engaged to Laura.

Well friends this weekend marked some very important things, Lunar New Year, Super Bowl, The Month of Love (ya know cause of Valentine's Day), my momma's birthday.  It is seriously a busy month y'all.

I want to preface this month of love and love related posts by letting you know where I stand on this whole relationship situation.  I am single and I am honestly happy.  My students think otherwise.  Whenever a topic turns to relationships, it happens a lot in Psychology class, they say things like "Don't worry Ms. T.  Someone will love you."  Kids these days!

Last week I was teaching my Psychology class about love and how the brain responds to love.  I said something about how we do stupid things because we are in love.  Then I said "heck I've done stupid things for like!" Which totally intrigued my class and caused about a minute derail as I told them one of the stories that I will share here right now!
Things I've Done For LIke

 

Drove to Rialto 

Now if you are not from Southern California this means little to you.  If you are from Southern California, I think you know that driving to Rialto for a boy is silly.  His neighborhood was so sketch that I had to call him when I was close to his house so he could meet me on the sidewalk and walk me to his apartment safely.  He was managing an apartment building there which was why he lived there.   He wasn't scary, just unable to come to my house to hang out.  This was during college. I am pretty sure that I would never even consider a relationship if I had to drive 45 minutes to see a guy in the ghetto.

Let a boy wear my UGGS

A few years back a guy I liked and maybe went on a date with asked me if he could borrow my UGG boots for a silly costume party.  I grew up as an only child and I am not used to people wearing my clothes or shoes.  I also do not shop at thrift stores because it just creeps me out.  I let go of my neuroses and gladly handed over my boots.  We quit hanging out shortly after this party and I could never wear the boots again.

Quit being a vegetarian 

For about two years I was a vegetarian.  I have never loved meat and I only eat it like 3 times a week.  I started to date a guy at church and he knew that I was a vegetarian.  He invited me to his parent's house for dinner and I accepted.  I arrived at their home and was given my dinner: Chicken tacos.  My date's mom really did not make anything else.  No beans or rice or anything else I could fill the tortilla with just chicken.  When I explained that I did not eat meat a battle broke out.  I am the least confrontational person and to make some peace I just ate the chicken.

Used a product he was pushing 

No I didn't do drugs!  I liked a boy in college who started to sell some skin care product with his sister.  It was like Avon but not Avon.  Anyway, after class one day he asked me if I could do a favor for him.  Of course I said yes and followed him to his car to retrieve what I would need to do the favor.  It was try out some face wash and then see if I wanted to order it.  I already knew I didn't want it though.  I have really sensitive skin and only a few things do not make me break out.  Long story short I tried it, and had a face full of pimples to prove it.  I am pretty sure that helped him like me more, not!

I know that there are plenty more things I have done that are even more ridiculous or silly, but that is all I can think of right now.  Perhaps a part two will be in order one day.

What are some things you have done for like or love?  I am sure you have some juicy stories to share.

24 comments:

  1. I loved this, it makes me definitely want to sit down and think about the things I've done for like. And I can completely understand the it not being okay driving to Rialto for a guy lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I was in Rialto once and never again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I like this idea! I hope there is a part two :)


    I drove to a guys house about a half hour from me in a snow storm!! Yea, I'm an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once drove across the mountain pass, in the middle of a snow storm, in my brand new car, by myself for a boy. I was probably there for just over 24 hours before we found out the storm was so bad they were shutting the pass. I had to leave immediatly, if I was going to have a chance of getting back home for work and school on Monday. It was terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so rude that they didn't have anything else to eat! honestly, i mean come on! the boots thing, pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha what a great post idea-- I may have to borrow it!!! Seriously though-- if I was a vegetarian and someone started a "battle" with me about it.. I probably would have just stared at the chicken and said something snarky like, "I'll have water, thank you" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha...hmmm....I switched from being a Japanese minor to studying Spanish for love--dramatic, but it turned out to be a good choice in the end!
    I think my husband had a harder time: he flew to Malaysia to propose to me and he quit his job and moved to Michigan and got a new job for me....plus all the crazy stuff he did for his previous girlfriends, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your posts. You have the type of posts that you can go back and make 10 more posts with them. Like seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! The heart wants what the heart wants man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not a place to be. Should have been my first clue to dump that guy! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahaha! Thanks for understanding my Rialto misery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How scary! I am so afraid of driving in the snow that If i did, you would know I really really liked you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was pretty upset, but it was so tense that I just put a spoonfuls on my plate and chocked it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah it was a terrible dinner. I caused a huge fight in their family, his bother tried to kiss me and I cried while watching LOST. Perfect date!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! When it is love I say go crazy! when it is like I say, where the heck was my better judgement?

    ReplyDelete
  16. There was once a girl named Nina and she had a crush on this guy since her freshman year of college and he was even roommates with the guy she dated last year (aka she saw him pretty much in the buff frequently) and so one night at like 11 pm he's like come over and she's like ok so she showers because she probably smelled bad but then he never texted her back till 2am and by that point she could no longer go cause then she'd really be a booty call.

    Long story short, I showered for like.
    PS - he still wants me to come over.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hey! You made the right call. In the words of a wise friend Wayne, anything after midnight is just a booty call.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! Seahawks are the best!! And in regards to a previous post, I agree: Sherman is the greatest person ever. I love my boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha! Excellent! he has brought me so much entertainment I had to love him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HHAHAH I love this post!! Who hasn't done some silly stuff for the guys they like!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right? we all do some crazy things just to try and impress a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmm, this has me thinking of the things I've done, too! I definitely can't believe you drove to RIALTO for a boy though! omgosh. I had to drive my friend to her mom's house there and I was sketched.

    ReplyDelete