Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Paul Simon and Sting on Stage Together

This last weekend I took my mom to go see Paul Simon and Sting on Stage Together.


20140218-195920.jpg


The concert was so fun and I had a lovely time with my mom.  She grew up listening to Simon and Garfunkel and then raised me on their music.  It is very much our mother daughter "thing.'  Around her birthday I saw a commercial advertising the show at the Honda Center in Anaheim and I knew I had to get tickets for her birthday earlier in the month.


We started off the night at one of my favorite places JT Schmid's and had my favorite meal of salmon, veggies and rice.  And a lovely banana briose, which I could eat every day.


20140220-130902.jpg


Banana Briose


After we stuffed our faces we went over to the Honda Center to get ready for the show.  I loved the audience at this show.  There were so many baby boomers there that I instantly felt young and amazing!  Of course there were some hipsters like myself there too, yeah right like I am a hipster!


My favorite people were the grown ups who never quit being a hippie at heart, dancing like no one was watching even though we were all watching and loving it!


Before we could go in I realized that the security for this thing was really tight and my mom and I were trying to smuggle in water.  I told her to "be cool" and not act weird when we were being let in so they wouldn't really look at our water bottles.  She said "I am always cool!" and then blew it.


The security guard asked to look in her purse and she told him, "I don't think so."


Goodbye water!


I am surprised they let us in with her clearly anti-establishment attitude. But we did get through and enjoyed the random musical styling of Paul Simon and Sting ensued. And I loved every minute of it!


20140218-195934.jpg
I would have never thought to put Sting with Paul Simon, I mean they are so different, but it worked.  They were a little comedy duo too.


The show was so seamlessly executed that it was three hours of non stop music!  They would play a few songs together, solo, together, solo.... and on and on.


One of my favorite moments came when Sting sang "Roxanne!"  One of my favorite things to do is sing that song, very silly and it was 2700 times better in person. Also I thought about this friends episode the wold time which made me laugh.



The whole concert was so much fun and I chair danced with the best of them!  I usually stand as close as I can, but with the mom I toned it down but still had the best time ever.


This photo was an accident but it felt artsy so there you go. I am pretty sure it should be an album cover now.


Paul Simon and Sting


20140218-200005.jpgMy all time favorite song by Paul Simon is America.  The pictures that come to my mind when I hear this son are beautiful.  It also makes me want to get out and see more and more of the world.  I am pretty sure a lot of people feel that way about this song but dang it I love it.  I was a little bit bummed out that Paul Simon didn't sing it.  Sting actually sang it and did a nice job, maybe I almost cried

Overall it was a wonderful evening that I would recommend to anyone.  I had fun with my mom, jammed to some sweet tunes and remembered that I like other music more than country music (sorry country music you are fun, but I gotta go with my heart!)



Does anyone else out there love Simon and Garfunkel as much as I do?  What are some bands or songs that define your life?

20 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an absolute ball!! LOL Mom and Daughter water bandits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley @ Married to the GameFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:29 PM

    What an awesome night for you and your mom! My mom and I need a girls night out like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome show. i am so jealous!! this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! I saw Sting with the Police back when I was in high school on a trip to Chicago and it was FABULOUS! :)))) I grew up listening to it too, and I've been known to belt out "Ross Can" with the best of them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are pretty hard core man. Don't mess with this duo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is really good! I would have never really gone to see him before, but I would recommend it to anyone! Hi Mrs. Sting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so fun! It might seem like a really random show, but I think that is what made it so great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I highly reccomend it. My mom was so cute and happy . I was so glad we spent the time together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good time. You're mom sounds hysterical- "I'm always cool!" haha

    Danielle @ Allusional

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a hoot! Always keeping me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun thing to do with your mom. Looks like fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very artsy. Such a fun time with your mom! I think concerts with mom's can be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was great fun. I especially liked not being elbowed in the head by a drunken wanna be cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right? I was such a hipster by proxy. My mom is pretty cool and we had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a treat. Recommend this concert to anyone!

    ReplyDelete