Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Eyes Have It

Hey oh! I hope your Wednesday is going well so far. I get to wear jeans and a t-shirt to my professional job so I feel like it is going to be a great day for me and the world.

I wanted to take a quick moment to share with you my latest love, my glasses.


[caption id="attachment_921" align="aligncenter" width="600"]I don't know why my hand is on my head, but it is. I don't know why my hand is on my head, but it is. Glasses -  Marc Jacobs[/caption]

I know that saying you love your glasses is totally the strangest thing a person could say on a blog, but really I am so happy to have these babies in my life right now!   I went about 2 and a half months without glasses so having them on my face feels great.

You see my darling puppy, Penny, found my old glasses on a table around Thanksgiving.  She likes very expensive things so of course she thought they were a new chew toy just for her.

[caption id="attachment_923" align="aligncenter" width="600"]She may look cute, but she is destroying my whole house and wardrobe. She may look cute, but she is destroying my whole house and wardrobe.[/caption]

She got a hold of my glasses and did this!

[caption id="attachment_922" align="aligncenter" width="593"]Destroyed Glasses How did she bite a hole in them?[/caption]

I know this might be hard to believe but I couldn't use them to see anymore.  I would get dizzy because the prescription was jacked up and there was a hole in the lens.

Three months later I finally went to the eye doctor.  I actually decided to change doctors because I did not like my old one very much.  If anyone in Orange County area is looking for a great eye doctor Dr. Swearingen at OC Eyecare is both amazing and funny.  A rare combination for an eye doctor.

I have had my new glasses for two weeks and I am so happy I can see again.  Perhaps you have noticed less typos?  This is because I can actually see what I am typing again.

My excitement over my glasses is actually strange to me.  Growing up I actually hated glasses.  I have had to wear them all my life and I would try to rebel against it as often as I could buy not wearing glasses to school.  Who needs to see the white board or your book or your homework?

I was actually born with cataracts in my eyes and had to have my lenses removed when I was just a baby.  Yes folks I was born with the eyes of your 80-year-old grandma, actually most of my family was.  The science name for it is congenital cataracts and you can read the Wikapedia article here.

I can not remember a time without glasses, contacts or really both. I have to wear contacts to correct for the vision I lost when I had my lens removed as a baby.  Then I get to wear glasses over that like one would to correct vision to read or drive. Of course when I was little I hated contacts so I opted for this option for five years.  No one made fun of me ever (yeah right).

[caption id="attachment_920" align="aligncenter" width="584"]This photo was also taken on my neon pink ninja turtle camera. #swag This photo was also taken on my neon pink ninja turtle camera. #swag[/caption]

It probably didn't help that I thought showing all your teeth was required for a proper smile.

Anyway after years of hating my glasses, teenage years of refusing to wear them at school, and times people were just mean I have finally come to realize that I do not care.  I am so happy that I can see and grateful for my vision.  Really I could be in a lot worse situation.  I can drive, read, work, do anything I want to. I just have to wear contacts and glasses at the same time and go to the eye doctor more than you do.  In the scheme of life that ain't so bad.

I am in many ways grateful for my eye and the life I have had because I had something a little different about me.  I think it made me a more empathetic person.  I know what it is like to not like something about yourself and want to change it but you can not.  I know what it is like for ignorant hurting people to try to hurt you for something you can not control. I know that it is not fair, but I know that it is what it is and that is OK.

[caption id="attachment_829" align="aligncenter" width="672"]Rocking the glasses at a concert with my mom. Rocking the glasses at a concert with my mom.[/caption]

So the eyes have it! It being my love, because they are the only eyes I have and I am grateful for what I have.

What is something you have struggled/still struggle with loving about yourself?

What is something that you love about yourself?

45 comments:

  1. The glasses look great on you! Love the shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your glasses! i used to wear fake ones bc i thought glasses were so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your glasses look great! Funny enough, I REALLY wanted glasses and braces when I was about 10 (what the heck was I thinking!) I even faked having bad vision so I could get glasses... even though I really have 20/20 vision. I was a freak, I tell you. I struggle to love my curvy hips, I was always super petite growing up and now that my body has filled out more, it's a struggle to enjoy my curviness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I'll ever be at a place where I can say I love my glasses--but I am very grateful for them and that they allow me to do things I otherwise couldn't do. The ability to see well is an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thank you very much! I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them too. I actually wanted fake ones, I think because you could tell they were fake and ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! We all want what we can not have! I actually liked them more when I was 10 because Jonathan Taylor Thomas said he would go out with a girl with glasses and braces in Tiger Beat. I thought I had a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. True true! I am sure I would be OK with never having to wear them, but that will never happen, so I gotta embrace what I got.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, why wouldn't you say you love your glasses? Glasses are AWESOME. Yay for pretty ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only wear my glasses when I am dying. I hate them but I havne't found a good pair of glasses that i absolutely LOVE and ADORE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. tehe thanks! I think it was just everything that went with it too, surgeries, big thick glasses, my mom touching my eye to put my contacts in. It was not fun, but now it is normal and I love it. Yay glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is hard! I decided that because they are so necessary for me I need to splurge on them and buy expensive frames that I love. That is just me though, but it has helped me appreciate or at least wear them more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was actually surviving on a pair of glasses that weren't strong enough anymore when I found Zennioptical and um, got four separate pairs. Which were all really cheap! And I absolutely love all of them and they fit my face in a way that my old glasses - which I bought at a local optician's and which were WAY more expensive - never did. I have a really small face and the selection here just didn't cater to me at all.


    I've also tried out SpecsPost recently - the first pair I got was too big and they're sending me petites now. :D But then I took to glasses fairly quickly when I got them (at 19). My sister's always worn glasses too - she's wayyyy more short-sighted than I am. I hate the idea of putting in contacts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love my glasses as well! :) When I told my boss I had to make an eye appt, she was like "WHY?!" "I'm SOOO sorry." I'm totally not bothered by it at all... especially since I'd rather wear cute glasses than make the God awful face she makes because she can't see. Haha!


    I love the new frames... and Penny the Punisher sure did a number on your old ones... :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the new glasses and i totally get your now love for glasses. i got my first pair when i was in 4th grade and felt like such a nerd, but now i love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it weird I've always wanted glasses? You rock them so well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The glasses look great on you! I've had terrible vision since childhood too. Junior high trauma made me never want to wear anything but contacts, but within the last year I have been embracing my glasses more and more. It's so nice to not have my eyes burning at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad you got new glasses! I've had horrible vision for forever and had super thick glasses as a child too. did you see the post on brass honey early this week (http://brasshoney.blogspot.com/2014/02/legally-blonde-i-mean-blind.html)? similar situation! I always felt like such a freak growing up and having eye problems, so i'm happy to have found other ladies in blogland who can relate. and though I sometimes get down about my eyes too, I agree that I am just thankful that I have options so that I can see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Penny the Punisher indeed! The bows lure you in and them POW! She eats your glasses!

    I am now the teacher that yells at her students for not wearing their glasses! I can see their little eyes straining and I know how hard they are trying to be cool. Nothing cool about the way you contorted your face to read the homework man!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well thank you! I can tell you some Asian places to get a fake pair, no lenses and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right! I kind of feel like if Zoeey D was famous when we were kids glasses wouldn't have gotten such a bad rap. Oh well at least we can love them now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omg, my boss' squint face is THE WORST. It's soo unattractive on her. She looks like she took a mouth full of Penny Poo every time she tries to read something...

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is awesome. Why is Jr. High so hard man? NO ONE looks good in Jr. High! Haha! Glad you are embracing the glasses life :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes I did see her post! It was so encouraging because I had this one lined up for today. I am glad (that is a funny word) that other people understand and have had some eye issues too. I really think it hard to know what all you go through with it unless you have been there yourself.

    I think all kids should wear thick glasses for a week and the world would be a better more loving place.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tips for affordable frames. It is hard sometimes to find ones that fit your face. One size def does not fit all. Glad you found somethings that work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Madi, this comment is too funny! I can totally picture your boss :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving your new glasses! They totally suit you. And as you know, I'm right there with you when it comes to my eyes :) Somehow I think my poor vision has made me a more confident person. I can't explain it exactly, but I mean when you walk around with coke bottle glasses you've got to be a bit proud or people will really rail on you. Loved reading your take on having bad eyes. Here's to making the best of things.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sucks. I have horrible vision, but didn't get glasses until second grade. My son got them in kindergarten. I hope my daughter will get her dad's eyes and not mine. But on a better note, your glasses are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. super cute glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your glasses look FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. HAHAHA! Penny's poo is so smelly too! Her face must look all kinds of messed up!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seriously! I wonder if I will have kids of my own, because I don't want them to have to worry about vision stuff like I have had to and my whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks girl! It is nice to know that others can totally relate! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The glasses look good. I used to want glasses as a child. Now not so much. All of the boys at my high school would wear fakes glasses. Not sure why but they thought they looked so cool and older. Dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I got eye surgery in 2007 and it's funny because when I see a picture of myself in glasses I'm all like "oh yeah, I forgot I used to wear glasses." And bad Penny! How they heck did she chew a hole in the lens?!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the new glasses! I used to feel the same about my glasses and always try to "forget" them at home, but now I love them

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your glasses! I had to wear bifocals as a kid...so I'm right there with you on having old granny eyes =) Eventually it turned into needed regular glasses. I love wearing my glasses now, but hated it as a kid...maybe because we have better choices these days. Although I must say I did rock those bright pink plastic ones pretty well in my school pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  38. that is great! it is amazing how quickly we adapt to things! also I have no idea how she does it! She just does it !

    ReplyDelete
  39. haha! I did that too! Even if they were in my bag I "forgot" them.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh the bifocals! Those were the worst right? At least now they blend the line. Way to rock the pink frames!

    ReplyDelete
  41. […] 3. Penny has eaten two pairs of reading glasses.  I can’t even handle this one right now. My glasses are so expensive it is not funny. She found both my regular pair and back up pair and destroyed them. So far new pari is holding up just fine. You can read about Penny The Punisher here. […]

    ReplyDelete