Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Happy Birthday to You, Momma!

Here we are at Wednesday and most of you would probably just go through the day and not realize the vital importance of February 5th.  I am sure you guessed it.  Today is my momma's birthday!

In cause you did not guess what today was I am appalled!  If she wasn't born I would not have been born and this blog would never be clouding up the internet.

In honor of my mom's birthday I decided to pay a little tribute to her and her impact on my life. I can think of no better way of doing this than a list, because lists are what bloggers do right?

My mom has always been one of the most unique, kind, and intelligent people I have ever met.  I do not know how she manages to be the smarted and most individual people I know.  So here is my list of ten things my mom did that make her amazing.

She has read every book ever.

So that might be an exaggeration by like five books.  really though I do not have a memory of her without a book in her hands or on her table or in her hands and on a table. We had bookcases of books she read all around the house and I always wanted to read as many as she.  I will never accomplish that goal



 

My mom went to high school in Germany.

Yeah you heard me right!  My mom was an army brat and moved to Germany for three years so my grandfather could be a principal of a school on the base there.  She was fluent in German for a while and still can speak a bit.

[caption id="attachment_698" align="aligncenter" width="620"]1069824_10200436044091330_470162565_n Bottom right is my mom, os cute![/caption]

She was a hippie (but just the peace kind, not the drug kind).

She was up in San Francisco during the late 60s and I am sure she has some stories.  Whenever I see a movie set in the 60s and there is hippie girl I just pretend she is my mom.

She met Cesar Chavez.

If you do not know who Cesar Chavez is read this Wikapedia article and them come back and admire this fact.

She has one brown eye and one green

I mean that is just pretty cool.

She is my favorite travel companion.

We have traveled to Europe together and last summer had a lovely time in Hawaii.  She is super chill and reads a book all the time so we can lay out and tan and enjoy life.

[caption id="attachment_693" align="aligncenter" width="612"]1003250_945103608200_568342319_n Hawaii 2013[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_694" align="aligncenter" width="672"]432024_823071756010_2031818739_n Ireland 2012[/caption]

She likes to take fun photos. 


We once took a photo by a grungy lake because it was "funky."

We also had to take a photo of every McDonanald's we saw in Europe.  I don't know where this one is but it was in Europe!

5210_556057235250_6920131_n

My mom has a fantastic sense of humor. 

I remember the first time I really made her laugh.  I was in middle school and I write something about Elvis wearing a hula skirt.  She laughed and laughed and I loved it.  She says and does the silliest things and I love that she is a kid at heart.

[caption id="attachment_695" align="aligncenter" width="720"]26678_584306164170_1457386_n Look at all that joy in the family![/caption]

She was the first person in the family to go to college.

I am telling you this lady is smart.  No one on our family had go past high school and she just decided heck why not get a Doctorate degree?

She made me love music.

My momma has the most varied taste in music ever and I am so glad she made me listen to it even when I complained.  I have a deep appreciation for great music.  From classical to Simon and Garfunkel this lady would listen to it and share why she loved it with me.

For her birthday I am taking her to see Paul Simon at the Honda Center and I am so excited to share that memory with her.

She loves Jesus and lives for him

She is my example of a deeply intelligent, social concerned and compassionate, fun, woman of God.  She has shown me a way of follow God that few have and i am so grateful that she is herself which makes me comfortable to be myself and be happy with who I am in a world where people are constantly trying to be something else to fit in.

So here is wishing you all a wonderful my mom's birthday!

Sandy (Momma) you are one of a kind and I can not think of anyone I would want to be my mom other than you!

18 comments:

  1. your love for your mom makes me so so happy. my mom is pretty awesome too. I love this, happy b0day to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw you are sweet! I love it when people love and appreciate the people in their lives for who they are! Happy my moms day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your Mom! She sounds like an awesome woman to have grown up knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new design - and what a sweet post for your mom's birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love it when people have a strong relationship with their mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your mom :) Sounds like she taught you a lot of great things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too! I mean I only have one, better treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was so sweet!! Happy birthday to your momma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's SO sweet that you are willing to dedicate this post/day to your Mom on her birthday-- no doubt she is very important to you and she should be. She sounds like a stellar person and one that I would be honored to meet. Happy Birthday to your Mom-- I hope that this year is her most blessed yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Germany?! That's super cool!! Such an awesome country, I have heard they have really unique towns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are too sweet! She is a wonderful lady and I am so blessed to know her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. she is a sweet lady! it made her day that I wrote a post about there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is super cool! We sent there a few years ago and I was super impressed that she lived there during high school. I loved all the little german towns and that for dinner you pretty much just ate bread and cheese. I was in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you and your mama are too cute :)

    ReplyDelete