Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

So You Want to Start A Blog - Basic Blog Design

Welcome back to the So You Want To Start a Blog Series.  Last week I shared my tips on what to do before you even write one word of content.  In case you missed it you can catch up here.

This week I am going to focus on the look of your blog.  I am assuming you have content to fill your posts with,  you are starting a blog I hope you have content for at least a week of posts.   Look and layout is where a lot of people, I, spent a ton of time in the beginning of my blog and I wish I knew a few simple things that would have helped.

So You Want to Start A Blog - Basic Blog Design Tips


Erica Jacquline So You Want To Start A Blog

Like all the great things in my life - Penny -  Blogging should have really come with a warning label. I had no idea how much time and energy I would pour into this space for the next year and how stinking frustrated I would be when a post disappeared or I could not get the extra spaces in my post to disappear.  I am petitioning all blogging platforms to have a warning that we can all ignore.

WARNING: Blogging is a highly addictive substance.  It will suck part of your life away and you will care way too much about things like followers, page views, and SEO. 

There should be another warning label that lets you know that you are about to become that nerdy computer person who knows things like HTML and how to use it to make things pretty.  You will learn more about fonts and how to make glitter letters, because we all need to know this, and you will want to quit many times when it is just over your head.

I know I have been there, and to some respect I am still there, as are all the bloggers out there, unless they got their degree in Graphic Design. Even if this is the case they still understand.

Here are just a few tips I wish I had in mind when I first started blogging that would have helped me make my blog look as nice as I could without hiring a designer while I waited to make sure I wanted to continue down this path.

I do want to say I am in no way an expert with design or blogging.  I just mess around with my computer until I get something I can live with.  These are tips and tricks for the "every girl" that may not know a ton, but can learn if she needs. to.

1. Choose a White Background - Or a very light background - or just a thin page border


On Blogger under the Template tab click "Customize."  There are tons of pre made templates you can choose from.  I usually think they look like a cute high school project if you use one, but if you like it then go for it (I used this for like three months so no judgement.)

Also if you have a dark color with white writing you will automatically be losing readers.  Some fine folks, like me, have eye issues and reading white writing on a dark background hurts their eyes and makes makes me see double.  You are limiting your audience with some of your design choices.  If you are cool with it I am cool with it.

Look at the blogs you are reading.  What does their page look like.  I am sure that more often than not the page is clean and easy to read.  Having too much stuff distracts from you and your content.

Keep it simple and clean.  Add pops of color and fun designs to enhance your blog, not to over take it.

2. Choose a font that is easy for all people to read


This goes with the color deal.  Not everyone likes to squint when they read.  You do not need to make your blog 20 point font or anything but anything under 12 and you will lose readers.

To change your font, color scheme, or background colors go to Template ------> Customize --------> Advanced

Blogger Design
3. Utilize Photos

Make them Extra Large every time!  The other thing I just started to do is make them the same width so my blog has a consistent look.

[caption id="attachment_907" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Click Extra Large every time. Click Extra Large every time.[/caption]

My favorite free website to use for photo editing is Picmonkey.com.  I could get lost there resizing my photos, adding fonts, adding overlays, making collages.

4. Keep Your Layout Simple


Your side bar width is easily adjustable if you want it to be larger or smaller.  I would say around 320 is good and gives you enough room.

Your sidebar is a great place to put information your readers want to know about you.  If you clog it up with puppy quotes and calendars it is going to look like a front yard at a garage sale, junky.

Some things I would say every blog should have:

About Me 

Search This Blog

Ways to Follow the Blog - Facebook, Twitter, Google Friend Connect

Archives

If you look at other blogs and want something they have google it.  That is how I figured out how to put my instagram photos on my blog.  It was easy!

If you want to add a gadget (blogger) or widget like the Instagram photos you have to get the code go to Layout and Add Gadget.

Click on the HTML one and paste the code and save.  You got it!

Adding Gadgets.

 

6.  Utilize free web tutorials


My favorite person in the world is Sarah from Venus Trapped in Mars.  She has a segment on her blog called Saturday Sessions where she breaks down how to add simple design elements to your blog to jazz it up without hiring someone to do it for you.  I designed my own About Me over there on the right with her step by step tools.

7. Make it your own


If you do not want to learn how to edit your own design there are plenty of designers out there that can help you.  If you are looking for a designer my advice is to look at the bottom of the blogs you love.  There will be a button you can click that takes you to their designer and you can see  their portfolio and how much they charge.  Do this until you find a designer you like and a price you feel comfortable paying.

Until then, you are the master of your own fate. If you do not like the way the generic header looks on your blog make one on picmonkey.  Just use design instead of edit. under design.

If you do not want your blogger profile to show up make your own about me.  Honestly, Sarah has made easy to follow tutorials that will teach you how to do all this so you will be happy with the look of your blog while you are working on your content and your staying power.

What do you think?  Do you like blogs that use a lot of color in the background or have the pre-made templates?  What would you add or change to my basics of blog design.

22 comments:

  1. Ashley @ Married to the GameFebruary 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM

    amen to that warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple is really key- don't go crazy! especially when you're starting out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I noticed you blog on Wordpress, I do too! have you paid to customize stuff? Like adding the tabs for your social media accounts on the right side? Are you able to change the color of your header? I'm having such a heard time with the design

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right? I don't think it would have dissuaded me, but at least I would have felt like I ignored good advise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I wanted to be super complicated in the beginning, which is funny that now I it to look clean and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the font thing! Haha! There are some blogs I really like but their font is just SOOO hard to read. It's miserable for me to try and decipher what they're saying. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right?I just cant. I am not sure why people think others what their retinas to detach. Does anyone like reading light letters on a dark background or super small and scrolling font?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did all this myself with plugins and lots of hours of stress! WP designers are really expensive and I did not think it was wise to spend that much on my blog when it is not bringing in enough income yet.
    The icons are a plugin - HS Social Media Buttons
    the header can be changed if you look for a them with a customizeable header. If you design yourself you can look under apperance under header and see what size photo to upload and design it in picmonkey or hire someone to do it for you.
    Hoe that helps a little! Let me know if I can answer anymore questions for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My biggest problem is the liiiiight grey font on a white background in an italicized font... HALP! I can't read it! :( Am I old? Do I have damaged eyes? Am I just missing the ultra sleek design factor? I don't know, but whatever it is... I don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! It is like I want you to spend 5 minutes trying to read this! hahaha! also light yellow as a font color, why??

    ReplyDelete
  11. easy to read fonts are key!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why do so many blogs insist on not using them though?

    ReplyDelete
  13. great easy tips! I don't really know anything about design but its amazing how just keeping things simple can work wonders. right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely! At the end of the day it is all about reading your words or seeing your photos. If you clog your space up how can people do that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are amazing tips. I've been blogging a while, but it's still so nice to get back to the basics every once in a while and maybe update a few things :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have no idea how long it took me to figure all of that out. And I agree with Helene that simple is better; at first I thought it would be boring and I wanted all of the things (!!!!). Boy I am glad I grew out of that phase.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA! been there girl! I have my students write a blog and I tell you I can't read a word of it sometimes. I think it is just human nature to think the more the better when really less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree. It is easy to get tied down in all the design and forget that basics could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. […] Week 1 – Before you write your first word  Week 2 - Basic Blog Design […]

    ReplyDelete