Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ask Me In Two Weeks

Woah!  It has been a long time since I have had a hot minute to sit down and write something that is not work related.  I have been running on overdrive for the last two weeks.  Today was the first day I have had other thigns pop into my head other than making sure kids are in the right classes and what to do with classrooms that will not hold 35 students.  

I started working at my school as a school counselor this summer.  I moved from the classroom to the office and I really really thought that it was what I wanted for career.  Now I am willing to say I might have been slightly idealistic.   

When my coworkers ask me if I like my new position I tell them to ask me again in two weeks.  I am trying to stay positive, but if I am honest I would say that I thought about walking off everyday for the last two weeks.  I just bought a condo though, so not having a job is not an option.  

Even though I am not in love with work right now I really think in two weeks I will be in a much better place in terms of work. I will not have 300 whinny teenagers coming to me to drop all their academic classes and take elective.  I will not have parents calling me in broken English yelling at me for placing their child in English as a Second Language classes because they can not speak English.  I will not have to figure out who can teach 3 students Algebra 1 and which period of the day it will work in.  I will not have to explain again why you can not change classes because one teacher might be "easier" than another.  
In two weeks I will be focusing on helping kids apply for college, take their SAT and arranging a college night on campus.  These are the reasons I wanted to be a school counselor; to help kids be successful in life.  To help them find out what makes them who they are and what contributions they can bring to the world. 

The last two weeks have pushed me to my limit.  I work until 5 everyday, come home and colapse on my couch for two hours, make dinner, work for 3 hours, fall asleep, wake up at 5 and start the cycle again.  I have sustained three injuries this week due to lack of coordination and sleep deprivation.  I need balance in my life in terms of time spent working and relaxing.  If anything I have been reminded that I can not do it all.  I have to let go and trust that as long as the school is not on fire I still have a job and I am OK. 

As I sit here on my couch finally taking some time to reflect and watch episodes of The West Wing on Netflix I am grateful that I have a job that challenges me and makes me want to be better at work.  I am grateful that I can recognize when my body says "Hey take care of me and take a little breaky poo!" I am grateful that this has totally inspired me to look into getting a PhD and pursue teaching at a university.  I am grateful that Luke Bryan sings by favorite cheer me up song and I can listen to it over and over again and aways feel happy.  


I have been so busy that I didn't even get to post about how much I love Luke Bryan!  I went to see him two weeks ago and it by far one of the best concerts I have ever been to




So here's to new challenges and the good and bad that come from them.  And here's to two weeks from now when I know I will be able to say again, "I love my job!"

 photo Signature_zps032dabba.png

1 comment:

  1. I want to see Luke Bryan in concert so bad, because I hear he is an amazing entertainer. Lucky you girl!

    ReplyDelete