Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Good To Be Gluten Free


Look at all that internal rhyme in the title of this bad boy! Despite the cuteness of this title I am not loving the fact that I am posting it.  It implies that I have given into the fact that I am (probably) gluten intolerant.  I say probably because I haven't had a doctor confirm it, but it is pretty apparent that it is the deal yo! I have known since high school that the way I eat can really affect the way I feel physically. 

I had several complex migraines during my teen years.  After having enough of them I stared to thing about what I ate before that might have triggered them.  The most common foods were cheese and chocolate (Enter whomp whomp sound here).  I was kind of careful about these foods, but still kept eating them cause dang it they are good. Skip forward a few years and I have been able to control my migraines more, if you read the article you will see that they are quite scary, but I still get headaches and feel gross after I eat sometimes. My sister had mentioned to me that she couldn't eat gluten and my mom mentioned that she thought I might have the same problem. 

 I kind of listened to them, but to be honest I did not because I knew I would have to quite eating breads and pastas, my favorite foods.   During the summer I cut out all sugars from my diet and I felt great.  I then did a gluten-free week and I felt really good.  No headaches, no fatigue, no digestive issues.  Curses, maybe there was something to it after all. Now it is November and I have been working to eat a very reduced Gluten diet. 

 I would love to say I am really 100% committed to it, but those chocolate covered pretzels I ate during Thor 2 would beg to differ. Below are some of the foods and such I have found that make it easier and more relish to give up the carbs and live a healthier life (for me). Tone It Up! I actually purchased the meal plan over a year ago and have been slowly implementing it into my daily routine. 

 I love Tone It Up and the creative healthy ways they put foods together.  If you buy the plan it can be extremely overwhelming to figure it all out.  Take your time and do what you can.  Add a little more every week if you want to. One of my favorite recipes is the 3 ingredient cookie.  It only contains banana, oats, and protein powers.  I add raisins or walnuts from time to time to spice things up.  It is an easy fix when you are missing cookies, my favorite dessert.  Check out the link above for their website and many more recipes.


I also buy the rice protein powder that TIU makes.  It is a little pricy but it has a good consistency in both smoothies and baking. 

Amy's Makes very good frozen food.  It is my go to lunch and I love the number of options you can get with Amy's.  If you check out her website you will see that so many of the products are gluten-free and dairy free, if you need that too.  I love the Rice Mac and Cheese and the Mexican Bowls. 

Pieology is just incredible.  I had heard about them before and wanted to try it for myself.  One just happened to open by my house and after I took May to her Physical Therapy appointment we went for dinner.  The reason I love Pieology is three-fold.  You can get a pizza for $7.50 with unlimited toppings.  Your food is ready in five minutes.  

They have gluten-free crust.  I was sad to give up the Glut.  I love that I can still eat pizza and it is good pizza and not be excluded from fun times with my buddies.
20131110-121504.jpg

Snacks - I will usually eat fruit, carrots and humus, or almonds during the work day when I get hungry. I also love a good protein bar: Lara Bars and Think Thin are two of my personal favorites. If I want a bag of chips I will often opt for Pop Chips

 I usually shop at Trader Joe's for my weekly groceries.  I love that they now mark what is G Free and it makes my life very easy.  I love the pancakes and waffles they have there.  They are perfect when you are in a hurry in the morning. These are just some easy tips. 

 There is not a lot on meat and vegetables in this post.  I make sure to eat my protein and vegetables regularly, they are just less fun to talk about. I am always on the hunt for more gluten free food and easy receipts so pleas feel free to pass any and all information my way. 

I also want to say thank you to all the men and women who serve our country.  Thank you for your sacrifices so that we can live a country where we are free and safe.  Thank you for your service to our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment