Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

My Friend's Dads

Today I am a little more reflective.  Maybe it is the rain falling outside that is making me a little quitter and more thoughtful. Maybe it is the fact that Penny has finally realized she doesn't have to chew on me or my computer when she sits on the couch at night.  Or maybe it is the fact that the Ducks are winning right now (they lost in a terrible way. I don't even want to talk about it).  Whatever the reason I am happy to sit and reflect a little on my life and part of what makes me so happy. 

I am not sure if you know this, what with all the thankfulness on my Facebook feed and bloglovin' feed it would be hard to miss, but November is really a month were we as a people try very hard to be thankful for the blessings in our lives.  I love that people are thankful and feel like sharing with everyone what it is they are grateful for.  I often read those statuses and think, "oh yeah, I am thankful for Chipotle too."  

Most of the people I know will mention their parents towards the top of the things they are grateful for. I too list my momma first, she is a gem.  You know the type of mom that is friends with your friends too.  She is just the best.  

In Hawaii this summer. 
My mom is all I ever mention when it comes to my parents.  I never mention my father and I never say that I am grateful for him, outside of the fact that he contributed to the fact that i am a person and I have a half sister and half brother because of him.  I simply do not have a relationship with him.  It is just the way it is and without getting to personal it is the way it needs to be.  My brother and sister are older than me and tried throughout their lives to be close with him and he is not capable of being in our lives.  It is what it is and I am usually OK with it. (I mean Father's Day is usually the pits, but most of the time I don't even think of it). 

Me, my brother and sister a couple thanksgivings ago.

As I think about my life and my not having my dad around I think there are a few key reasons that I am OK with the fact that my dad is not apart of my life.  First, my mom is just a rock star.  I have always felt so loved by her that I never felt unloved in my life.  Second, I know that God is there for me.  Maybe that should be first, but it is true.  I have always grown up with a knowledge and love for God and I have always felt that he was with me in this one.  Third, my friend's dads. 

I have some really great friends in my life.  These friends have some really great fathers in their lives.  Looking back throughout my life and my closest friends I can tell you who their fathers are and I can tell you a story or something about them.  They are good men who care about their daughters and in turn care about their daughter's friends.  

What really got me thinking about this was that my friend Laura's dad asked me how the Ducks were doing so far this year and then "pounded it" when we said good bye.  He was kind, knew what I was interested in, and took time to care.  It was a simple gesture but one that was much appreciated.  

I just want to take a moment and thank all the dads out there that are just good men.  Men who show love to their children and in loving their children show kindness to their friends.  Men who give a girl hope that there are really great men in the world who stick with their families and love being with them.  

Thank you dads that have invested in my life and helped me feel loved and cared for.  Even in your simple ways I am so blessed that you take time to invest in my life.  Thanks friends and family for sharing your amazing dad and letting me be part of your family in some small ways. 

You makes a huge difference in my life and gives me hope for a future with a man who will demonstrate these qualities with the children I may have one day. 

2 comments:

  1. im so glad you have such an amazing mom. not everyone can come to the terms with their parents and it seems at least you are at peace with it. the fact that you can be thankful for other dads is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that your friends dads are so nice to you and that they give you hope for good fathers one. I too only have my mom.

    ReplyDelete