Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Listed Tuesday: Ways To Find Your Blog Voice

So friends I have been having a heck of a time this summer being excited about blogging.  I have enjoyed being outside, working out, and reading books for fun and blogging has definitely taken a backseat in my life.  I also think that I am looking for a new things to blog about or a different way to write.  I haven't totally worked through that yet, so I continue to write and look for what I want this space to be.

As I have been looking for ways to find what I want to say and what I want this blog to be I have come across some things that have been helpful for me finding my writing voice that I thought I would share with you today.

I also thought I would resurrect So You Want To Start a Blog, cause I miss it!

5 Ways to Find Your Blogging Voice


Finding Your Blogging Voice

1. Have a clear head. 

When I am clear on what I want to write and do not let a ton of things distract me from my writing I tend to like what I write 1000% more. If I sit at my computer for too long not liking what I am writing or moving between facebook and twitter I know it is time to put the laptop away and just do something else and come back later to see what I came up with.

Perhaps this should just be for published posts, there is something in just writing and getting things out there.

2. Turn off the TV

How can you find your voice when there are 10 others on your TV telling you what is funny, relevant, or interesting?  Answer: you can't!  Don't get me wrong I love me some TV viewing, but I never like what I write when my TV is on.  I am not engaged in my writing and it usually is weak.  The only time this works is when I am actually writing about what I am watching.

3. Find music that does not distract

When I am trying to find things to write about I cannot listen to my jams, because I will jam!  Writing is harder when I am jamming to a song that I love cause I just want to sing that song.  I have found that writing with music that has words in another language really works for me.  I know it sounds a little snobby, but I like to have music while I write and if I cannot understand what I am hearing it works.

Quelqu'un m'a dit by Carla Bruni on Grooveshark

4. Go out and do something new

Putting yourself in new situations totally helps me feel fresh about life and in turn about my writing.  For example on Thursday I am doing something that really scares me and I have been so creative for that event.  I will tell you more about it later, but in short I think I am going to do a little stand up comedy at an open mic.  Oh my God I just said it I guess it is real.

5. Write for an audience

This is just a good writing tip.  Know who your audience is or who you would like you audience to be and write for them.  If people not in your audience do not read you blog do you really care?  Maybe a little but you will get over it.  If the people you want to read your work are reading it and loving it mission accomplished.
Erica Jacquline

Please join me for Listed Tuesday and make sure to check off each item on the list below:
- Write a post about anything you want that includes a list of sorts
- Add the Listed Button to your post
- Come by Erica Jacquline on Tuesdays and add your link
- Read other posts, comment, and make new friends
- Shower, rinse, repeat each week.
- Follow your hosts!


Erica Jacquline


Go buy ten of these from Target, You will thank me later!


Twitter


Julie from Artwork by JM


photo for blog


Bloglovin






5 comments:

  1. I definitely can't write with the tv on, and not really with music on, either. I get a little lost in writing, it might take me a bit to get started, but once I'm started, it takes a lot to pull me away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely can't concentrate with music on...I just end up wanting to sing along and lose track of what I was thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What! You're doing some stand up?? Very cool! Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. […] and a teacher! Kindred spirits much?. My favorite posts are: 9 Reasons I Won’t Quit Facebook, Ways to Find Your Blogging Voice, and How to Kill A […]

    ReplyDelete