Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

When Did I Become A Middle Aged Man?

Hi friends!  This weekend was totally a relaxing one.  I needed a few days to not think about work, reflect on life, and not look at a computer for three days.  It was a great little vacay from all the screens in my life.  If you need a little breaky poo from the craziness that can be life I say take it!

Anyway, as I was thinking about what to write about today I realized that I have quite successfully become a middle aged man.  Granted I am still a smokin' hot 20 something lady, but my interests have been bordering on dad level.  My new main interest is golf.  I go to the driving range once or twice a week, I am taking classes through the community center, and I am looking through thrift stores for clubs.  Dad territory right there. 



I realized this weekend that the lessons that are learned in golf could really be applied to life.  So I present to you: 

Erica's Life Lessons from the Driving Range

1. It is OK to suck sometimes
I am not a naturally gifted golfer.  I try and I get better, but I am not going to be Tiger Woods anytime soon ever, and I am more than OK with this.  One of my main sayings is that some people just aren't gifted in certain areas.  That is OK because they are gifted at other things.  It is true about golf.  I am not super gifted, but I have fun and that is all that counts sometimes.  

2. Overthinking will mess with your golf swing
I am at the point where I have to think about Every. Little. Thing. and make sure that my form is right.  Well all this thinking and I am barely able to hit the ball.  True confession, I usually miss!   My thoughts are consumed with posture, not bending my left arm, looking at the ball, following through, looking cute...  When I get the steps down right I don't have to think and the ball will fly 50 yards and I will feel like I just won the PGA. 

I realized when I over think my life I am less happy.  I am going through all the right steps and very aware of my missteps.  I am happy when I have learned the steps thought through them and then can effortlessly walk through life. 

3. Learn the right way first and practice that
So before my golf lessons this month I just went out and swung the club all willy nilly.  It was fun.  Unfortunately, I have some things to re-learn and that is no bowl of cherries.  If you learn the right way first you will not have to go through the arduous task of un-learning and re-learning. 

I just used the word arduous and I better have a picture to keep you interested. 

4. Focus
I am usually pretty bad at focusing.  I am not ADD or anything, but I like to see what is going on around me and be apart of it.  When I look around the driving range I will get distracted and miss the ball.  It would be embarrassing, but everyone around me is much better at focus than I am so it works out that they didn't notice. 

5. Overthin a little then stop thinking.
Part of golf is doing the steps and thinking a ton to get the form right.  Eventually, you get the steps and you stop thinking and just do it right.  I long for this day. 

6.  Get the right accessories
As with life looking the part is essential.  I wear my little pink golf glove to the range and the fine folks there know I am serious. 

7. Find the Range that fits you
There are so many driving ranges around my house.  I have found that the one with the islands and boats is perfect for my "non focused self."  I can get loud, laugh at my mistakes, make new golf friends, borrow other people's clubs and love life.  The ones where the business men go to are not for me.  They usually hate me and that is OK.  I found what works and I will stick with it. 






Well there you have it, my go to rules for life and golf.  I am not gonna lie this old man way of life is pretty sweet.  Now i just need to find my trophy husband and sweet convertible and I am set.

Speaking of being set, I think it is extremely important you go over to The Life of Bon and enter the giveaway that is there.  Follow my bloggy and you get another entry.  Just do it already!


2 comments:

  1. New follower! My husband would love this post as he loves golf!
    Our Fairy Tale

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] In July I went back to work and pretty much became a celebrity in China and I pretty much became a middle age man and took up golf. […]

    ReplyDelete