Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Welcome To Creekside Steak House

I have been loving this little link up that Bonnie has been hosting this summer.  It has been a cause of much reminiscing, looking through old photos, and talking to old friends that I have lost touch with.  My favorite is the talking with old friends again.  Why the heck do we as people do such a terrible job of keeping in touch?  Sheesh!

This week's theme for Throwback Thursday is First Job.  When I started to think about it I realized that my family farmed me out to the world or work at the young age of 14.  I reckon they felt it was time for me to start earning my keep.  Actually, I wanted to work.  I was bored during the summer before my Sophomore year and asked my friend Lizzy's mom if I could work at their family restaurant during the summer.  




The fact that I was bored during summer and wanted to start working at 14 should tell you a bit about my personality.  It tells me that I need to chill out.  It also tells me that I get things done, which has been a very valuable asset throughout my short little life. 

I went to work with Lizzy's mom Lynnie, four times a week and worked as a hostess at a awesome steakhouse and tavern for the summer.  I loved working there.  I could socialize with the customers, do mental math, balance my till ( I was the best, my tills were always on the penny), and I even did some management and book keeping.  It wasn't challenging work but it was fun for little 14 year old me. 
I feel like this was a place-matt, could be wrong, but you wouldn't actually know the difference. So yes it is a place-matt.
Some of my favorite costumers were the old guys who thought they could flirt with anyone under 21.  They were sweet and harmless and made me laugh.  I think the best part was that the restaurant was about 20 minutes outside of town and surrounded by the forest and a creek.  It was a beautiful setting and I was lucky that I got to work there. 

Oh yes, the elk that would wander around outside, or run into your car on the way home.
I also had such weird exchanges with the bus boys and the cooks.  I was hit on so many times. So. Many. Times.  My all time favorite line was: "I am 20 and have two kids and I am getting a divorce.  Wanna go out sometime?"  Needless to say we are married now and we have a beautiful, healthy blended family. NOT!

I continued to work there during the summers and occasionally throughout the year.  I moved up to a waitress and I had plenty of dollar bills.  

I learned a lot through this experience.  I learned to have a good work ethic and positive attitude about work at a young age.  I learned that college was necessary because I did not want to be a 50 year old waitress.  I learned that at 14 I had more skills than some have in a lifetime. And I learned how to turn down creepers.  

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh04vJyz7dh1l8NMa0MBVjQ0JN6W65WPgz9jFHqbO2KcHGU1tQjxk6Kbs-opUKvhueun_aahm0fZWuygKqAm54oFQEcjxr05t0Y1VUo4k3sxKy9Ed2b56otpE-yKFz579xf_bCV-07OZzRE/s1600/throwbackthursdaybutton.jpg


love! Erica




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment