Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Growing Up Can Be The Pits

I have said it before and I will say it again, I love summer.  Really it is the best season of all.  I have heard grumbling from some about how hot it is or that they hate the sunshine and thus hate summer.  I am convinced that those grumblers are just sad they are not teachers and do not have the summer off of work.

As much fun as it is to teach kids like this....

Summer is meant for fun times like these.
I only get a month off this year, I hear some of you already, "Only a month..." I know it is silly to say but when you get used to two and a half months of no work, total and extreme boredom, and being able to like a college student all through your twenties, it is a little sad when that has to end because you have to go back to work early.  In case you missed it I will be my school's guidance counselor next year.  Finally putting that degree to use.  If you want to you can read my thoughts about my counseling position here.

Anyway summer break is the best.  I had a wonderful two week vacation in Hawaii.  I have been catching up with friends that I have been a bad friend to the last six months while I was so busy at work (I hate that I let my life get consumed with work sometimes.  I leaving work at work is a big goal for nest year.)  Watching all five seasons of Mad Men  on Netfilx in two weeks, how great is that show?!  Exercising on a regular basis again and taking the time to eat healthy.  And of course getting those pesky tasks done that I put off until I have time in the summer.

Today was a day of just getting stuff done.  It started with an investigation in to why I did not get my tax refund yet.  Turns out I sent my paperwork to the wrong address.  Looking back March is just a fog of crazy stress so I am sure this is totally possible.  So I wrote a letter asking for forgiveness, sent my taxes to the write address, and said a little prayer that the IRS will be nice.  I am pretty sure it will provide a good laugh to the person who opens it. Obama, if you are reading this please tell them to be nice to me!

Then I dropped my car off for an oil change.  Four hours, four major issues, and $200 later I left.   I had to get something done to my air conditioning and fuel line blah blah blah.  I might have been scammed.  It would probably behove me to learn a little more about cars and not drive with nails in my tires for a month and a half, who knew that light that flicked on actually meant something.  I am really amazed I didn't get a blow out on the freeway.  Thanks for looking out, Jesus!

Tomorrow is another boring day of being a grown up filled with buying new tires and getting my teeth cleaned.  By the way I am totally terrified of my dentist, maybe he will give me a good story for tomorrow.  Last time I saw him he asked what I did for a living.  I told him I was a teacher.  He said I was grinding my teeth and he thought it was because I was stressed.  After finding out I was a teacher he seemed to think that wasn't a reason to be stressed.  We get along really well.

Still on this list of things I need to complete this summer are go to the doctor for a regular checkup and get my California driver's license.  Yes folks, I have hung on to my Arizona since I came to college.  It is really hard to find any motivation to switch when it doesn't expire until 2049 when I will be 65 years old.

I am sure that I will be looking this good when I am 65! By the what was my hair doing that day.

Being responsible for myself and others, taking care of my finances, getting 8 hours of sleep, paying rent are not fun activities however, I am happy that I am capable of doing all these things.  When I have my life in balance and the nagging tasks are taken care of it makes the fun part of being a grown up so much better.  I had fun being a kid and will always look back at those very carefree days and smile while I take care of business. 



love! Erica




PS - Where does that saying come from "its the pits?"  Does it relate to smelly arm pits?  Is it a racing expression?  I just don't know.

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Does your license seriously not expire until 2049??? Thats crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONE MONTH?!?! I would die for one month of vacation :)

    And I feel the same way about cars...I'm always afraid of getting scammed.

    ReplyDelete