Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Every Little Thing's Gonna Be Alright

This past weekend I was reminded how much I worry about how my life is going.  The thoughts I expressed I expressed in yesterday's post are really the source of much of my worry.  How do I fit into and thrive in each of these categories? 

I worry about work, finding a good man, if I should go to doctorate school and the repercussions of my life when I make a decision.  Usually the thought that runs though my head is will I miss out on what I was supposed to do if I choose this instead.  I know I am not alone in this type of thought and even behavior that reflexts trepidation regarding my future.  I know that I am pretty tired of it though. 

This weekend I heard time after time that we I should not worry.  I was thinking about it on Friday on my own and then had conversation with a friend about the future and continued to be OK with where I am at right now without trying to figure out "what next"?

Sunday was really when I was confronted with how much thought and energy I put into worry.  The sermon at church was on not worrying!  No joke.  The major thing I took away from the sermon was that worrying takes time, energy, and thoughts away from what is happening and places it on what might happen.  Why stay up at night thinking about what might happen tomorrow?  When I heard it put this way I was aware of how silly it sounded.  Why get worked into a tizzy for something that you don't even know is happening?  Sheesh there was some major freedom in that for me. 

Later that afternoon I was talking with a co-worker at her home about going to get a PhD one day.  Her brother heard us talking and told us to relax. My friend is on a search for a man, and man alive is she searching.  It has been exhusting to watch her!  I do not know how she keeps going on dates, talking to new guys, and trying new things to meet someone.  

 Her brother, in a way that only an older brother can, told her to take a chill pill.  He reminded us that one day when we are married and have kids that we will look back to our times without it and miss it.  We need to appriciate what we have while we have it.  The most encouraging part was that he said when you are married, not if you ever get married.  It will happen, I just need to relax, live my life and love the moments as they come. 

Lastly, my devotional for July 16th  in Jesus Calling was the following:

July 16

Do not worry about tomorrow! This is not a suggestion, but a command. I divided time into days and nights, so that you would have manageable portions of life to handle. My grace is sufficient for you, but its sufficiency is for only one day at a time. When you worry about the future, you heap day upon day of troubles onto your flimsy frame. You stagger under this heavy load, which I never intended you to carry.

Throw off this oppressive burden with one quick thrust of trust. Anxious thoughts meander about and crisscross in your brain, but trusting Me brings you directly into My Presence. As you thus affirm your faith, shackles of worry fall off instantly. Enjoy My Presence continually by trusting Me at all times.

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
—Matthew 6:34

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
—2 Corinthians 12:9

Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.
—Psalm 62:8

Sometimes it takes this knuckle head three times in one day to get the point.  I am sure that those little anxious thoughts will try and work their way into my life which is part of the reason I wrote this post.  It is a reminder for me when I start to over analyze my life and fret about the future.  

I will rest in the wisdom of Bob Marley and remember that, "every little thing's gonna be alright" because it is too hard to not believe that. 


  love! Erica

1 comment:

  1. Exactly what I needed to read! I have always been a worrier and it is true it just takes away from the present. And is a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete