Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sister Act 2 Lied To Me

Yesterday I stayed home sick.  There is something in the air around here and it seems like everyone is sick with something.  I didn't do much yesterday.  In fact I slept in, watched a million episodes of Millionaire Matchmaker, the Duck vs. Kings game, and stumbled upon a gem from my childhood Sister Act 2. 



I do not know if you were as cool as me, but Sister Act 2 was one of my top five movies when I was a wee little lass.  I never saw Sister Act, but that didn't matter.  I would watch this movie again and again.  I had the soundtrack 30 times a day and sing the songs until I was as good as Lauren Hill, or so I thought.

My love for this movie happened during a formative time in my life when I was 9 years old.  At that point I thought I was a little gansta child and this movie fed my wanna be bad girl ways.

I realized as I watched the movie today that I was lied to in many ways that a little girl can not really realize until she grows up and knows a little bit more about the world.  Now I will present to you all the ways Sister Act 2 lied to me about life.
Sister Act 2 

Being a Las Vegas Showgirl only entails singing a medley of hits from the 1960s


That opening sequence with Whoopi singing about 20 songs in a four minute time frame gave me such a great portrayal of what a Las Vegas Showgirl does.  I loved that you could combine a million songs together and sing them for people in a sparkly dress.  If that was being a showgirl then that is what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Whoopi Goldberg could believably play a Showgirl



Maybe it is because I know who Whoopi is now and I can see her on The View everyday, but it was really hard to believe she could have been a showgirl in Vegas.  I would have totally believed it if she was performing in Reno though.

Teaching inner city youths is fun and easy once you teach them a few vocal exercises. 



As a teacher in a nice area I know that this is not even close to the truth. Look at all that attitude Lauryn Hill is going you.  She is hard core and will not be won over with a few times through "Do a Dear."  Even Maria von Trapp would have had a heck of a time with these youths.   Either that or they weren't that ghetto.

Singing  "Oh Happy Day" like a girl will make you cool and give you self confidence. 



In perhaps one of the most memorable scenes in the movie the little scrawny boy came out of his shell and sang Oh Happy Day like Mariah Carrey angle.  Somehow this made him cool and made him feel good about himself. I know life is not like this.  For the boys who sing in a beautiful falsetto they usually get made fun of for not going through puberty yet.

Did anyone else try and sing like he did with your friends?  We would sing this song over and over again to see who could hit that high note the best. Looking back it really did not make us cool.

You can lie to your mom if you are as talented as Lauryn Hill 



So Lauryn Hill's mom did not want her to sing because of her dead beat dad, or something like that.  LH is pretty upset about this so instead of obeying her mom or having a real conversation she forges a permission slip and goes on a school trip.  Her mom shows up and right when you think all hell is about to break loose nothing happens.  LH sings her heart out and her mom gives her a hug.  The End.  I am pretty sure I would have been grounded for a month or three if I pulled that stunt.

Professor McGonagall, or if you are more classy the grandma on Downton Abbey was a nu







Round sunglasses are cool



Joyful Joyful is not actually a rap - gospel hybrid song. 



I remember singing this song in church and waiting for the part where we would break out the rap.  I was so excited to sing "Cause all I know is that I'm down with G-O-D!  You down with G-O-D? Yeah you know me!"

_______________________________


Now I would love to introduce you to Bri over at Deliciously Active.  Bri is so great about blogging fantastic recipes and encouraging her readers to eat healthy and work out.  If you want to know how to make your own donuts check out her post Move Over Dunkin and check out how tough this girl is and the 7.1 mile race she took part in I'm Savage.
smiling is my favorite

 
1. What do you love about blogging?

What I love most about blogging is the socialization. I love being able to share my point of view and interact with my readers. I love hearing their perspective or, better yet, funny stories! I am a social person so I enjoy clicking around and "meeting" new people.

 

2. What is your favorite thing to blog about?

It's funny, I recently had a conversation with another blogger and she referred to me as a fitness and food blogger. I always thought I simply blogged about my life, but when I thought about it I do talk about fitness and food a lot (even in real life!). 


bri at beach


 

3. If you had to eat the same meal every day, what would you eat?

It'd probably be my chicken cacciatore. I can't flippin' get enough of the stuff. It's low-fat, but flavorful and filling. 

 

4. Do you have a furry friend? Tell us about them.

I have a Great Dane named Princesa. She is huge. I love watching people's faces when they come to my home and meet her for the first time. She's such a  friendly dog so she comes to properly greet anyone that walks through the door, but they back up out of fear because of her size. It's funny. She really is the sweetest, most loving dog and is so gentle and patient with my 3 young sons. They climb on her and she doesn't even flinch.

 

5. Where have you traveled to and what has been your favorite place and why?

I have traveled throughout the U.S., the Caribbean, Central and South America, Asia, and recently went to Europe. I think out of all the places I have been so far, I fell in love with Argentina and Italy the most. I worked in Argentina (Rosario) for 2 months and really got to know the city. I loved the architecture and the culture. The city itself has a dark history that I was drawn to (Dirty War), so it was fascinating to walk around the city and identify buildings where certain events took place. I loved Italy for the people and the food. The people are so warm and friendly and the food is amazing. I am planning another trip to Italy, but next time to Florence, Rome, and Pompeii.


Be sure to say hi to Bri on Twitter,  Bloglovin', and Instagram

18 comments:

  1. hahaha those are all so true! still one of my favorite movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could watch Sister Act (1 & 2) over and over for the rest of my life! I literally have them memorized. And Lauren Hill was great in #2.. it was filmed back in the day when she was a grateful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too! I was so excited when I happened upon it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never saw either Sister Acts... Not sure why. But we took a sick day yesterday too but unfortunately mine was filled with Spongebob and other kids shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOOM = mix explosion. it's crazy to watch something you love as an older person and realize, omg that was a total lie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had forgotten all about that movie! Thanks for reminding me haha! Love professor McGonagall as a nun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right? That woman is in like every movie! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! But it kind of makes me love it more now that i know how silly it was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I would have gone crazy watching Spongebob. better you than me! Hope you are all feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw that movie on television last week and laughed at how corny it was! I love how the juvenile delinquents are so hardcore yet her screeching her nails on the chalkboard got them to perk up. YEAH RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the play of Sister Act. It was amazing. Its so funny that movies that you watch over now that you watched as a kid you can learn so much from. Some movies are all lies. And some you really learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sister Act 2 was and still is one if my favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Professor McG makes me really happy - I actually even like her better in Downton!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still love it. Maybe even more than before :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to see the play! that sound so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA! that part is so funny!! I thought about that part often when I had a chalkboard in my classroom, but I feel like it would torture me more than them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. she is so great in everything she does! I am so happy Downton is back!

    ReplyDelete