Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Will It Matter In Five Years?

 

Going back to work after a long break is always hard on me. I mean the first day is fun and I love catching up with everyone and hearing about their crazy family Christmas dinners, but by Tuesday I am ready to go back on vacation.  Unfortunately that is not how the world works.

Before I left for Christmas break I was totally ready to not work again.  I mean just retire now and live off my $15 a month social security check.  I am kidding.  Kind of.

When I look back at the first semester of the school year I realized I did not handle it as well as I could have.  I was in a new position and am in administration at my school now.  There were a lot of personnel changes in the summer and a great deal of turmoil and drama took place.  I was and still am caught in the middle a lot of the time and it stress me out. I am so not confrontational or aggressive by nature.  Discord amongst others really bothers me and I just want everyone to get along.  I let it all get to me and really had a hard time going to work everyday.

When Christmas break came I was ready and I left that pop stand and did not look back.  It is amazing what two weeks away from stress and teenagers can do for a person.  All those things that were driving me crazy and making me grumpy seem so silly a week later.  Nothing that I was getting worked up over had any real effect on my life.  Sure things were annoying and my time was taken advantage of a lot, but I was OK.

I read the following quote on a blog, sorry I can not remember whose, maybe it was Kym she is always so inspirational, and it has totally changed my life.



 

This week going back to work I was "blessed' with many snafus.  Things were not done right by anyone, I had to work until 10 pm to fix mistakes for a meeting the next morning etc. etc. etc.  I usually would be pissed off about this and everyone would know it.  But I asked myself when the drama started this week if it would be something I would even remember in five years.  The answer was a resounding "NO!" and I just moved on.

I can not even tell you how helpful this idea has been for me and my happiness.  There is nothing like some perspective to really help you get over yourself.

-------------------------------


Today I am so happy to introduce you to Brittany over at Life Changes.

Photo on 2010-06-14 at 20.47

Brittany is from Northern Virginia and is a fellow teacher.  She writes about challenging herself and finding positivity in her day to day life.  I just love her blog and her zest to make life better. She loves to travel and share her experiences on her blog and her photos are beautiful snapshots of life around her.

DSC06294

She is taking a trip by herself soon and wrote about some of her secret fears in regards to traveling solo.  I am super impressed that she is doing this and can not wait to read about the results and maybe be inspired to take a trip of my own.  Brittany also has a great new link up this year on Saturdays which challenges us to try something new and write about it.  You can find the information to her link up here. Also how cute is her puppy, Camie.  She is now Penny's dog cousin and a part of the family.

Go visit her blog and follow Brittany on Bloglovin and Twitter and be inspired to do something new and embrace the possibilities of  each day.

8 comments:

  1. I really ask myself that question a lot...that one and "at the end of my life, will it matter?" by the way, sorry you had to go back to work, it sucks but next Christmas will be here before you know it! lol (hey, I'm trying to be positive here.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "5 year rule" sounds like a sensible one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. Sometimes I even ask myself will it matter in five hours. That one helps a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! it is ok. Work is work right, we gotta do it. And Summer break is even closer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always ask myself will this matter even tomorrow. Sometimes I can't even remember things I was so upset about. And I'm with you on the living off your small retirement check. I have thought about that many times. I had a great break off and towards the end I was missing my kids but now that I'm back I'm mentally exhausted all over again.


    Also thanks for the lovely feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the tomorrow question is always so helpful! I hope you got some traffic yesterday!

    ReplyDelete