Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Oh My God! This Is My Song!

Today I am linking up with Helene over at Helene In Between, because I just love her idea for today, Songs That Define Me.  Like me Helene is a music lover.  Even though our tastes are different, I prefer country she loves electronic music, we are equally crazy about our sweet jams.  She flew to another country for a music festival I sweated for three days in the desert for a music festival.  Essential we are awesome. 

Looking back over my life there have been a few songs or musical groups that have defined a certain phase of life.  Below are the good, bad, and just plan awkward songs that have meant a lot to me in my life. 

DC Talk 
Back in the day I was quite the gansta, or so I thought.  Really I just listened to Christian rap.  My first CD was DC Talk's Free at Last.  I am pretty sure I could still sing/rap every song on that CD.  I am amazed my mother was not worried about me as I was rapping about not having sex and that luv is a verb. 

Luv Is a Verb by dc Talk on Grooveshark 

 Boy Bands
I loved me my boy bands in the 90s.  After I got over my Christian rap phase I fell hard for the lovely boys.  I loved them all, Backstreet, NSync, and 98 Degrees.  One of my most embarrassing song confessions comes to you right now.  In high school I really liked a guy and he liked me, but we lived in different states.  We would see each other about once a month for meetings.  The last time we saw each other we knew it was probably forever.  We said goodbye, he sobbed on my shoulder (true story) and my little 17 year old self walked on the bus and contemplated the lyrics of this song:


Luke Bryan
Currently in my life I am loving happy music.  I mean I just can not get enough of it.  Anytime Keith Urban's LIttle Bit of Everything comes on I car dance like I am fighting for my life.  My favorite fun song at the moment comes from my man Luke Bryan.  I actually had a dream we met and fell in love it was beautiful. 

That's my Kind of Night by Luke Bryan on Grooveshark

PS Look how cute I was at Luke Bryan's Dirt Road Diaries Tour! 
Simon and Garfunkel
The band that has always had a special place in my heart is Simon and Garfunkel.  I know this is a totally random pick, but I grew up listening to them and have never quit loving their strong lyrics and intoxicating harmonies.  Plus how great is Garfunkel's name?  
My mom loved S and G growing up and shared her love for them with me.  We would listen to their greatest hits CD on all or road trips and it was by far the only music we could agree on.  Nothing sounds as comforting and as happy as a great mix of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

Simon and Garfunkel by Erica Thompson on Grooveshark

Don'f forget to link up with Helene In Between!


Helene in Between

 photo Signature_zps032dabba.png

4 comments:

  1. I never really listened to DC Talk when they were a band, but loved TobyMac as a teen. Luke Bryan is awesome! & oh yeah, as soon as Little Bit of Everything comes on, I'm all about dropping everything I'm doing for a one woman dance party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and I are music soul sisters! Visiting from the linky! Love all of these - especially LB! I used to be obsessed with DC talk back in the day too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm anyone that loves music as much as i do is pretty much my best friend. so wanna be BFF?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your songs listed!
    Simon and Garfunkel are my favorite and G's name is super awesome!
    Love it
    Gi
    xx

    ReplyDelete