Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Friday Favs - Say What?

I am posting pretty late today, but that is the type of week it has been.  I am happy to say that this will be short and sweet for today.  Either I have been living under a rock or this week was just a little boring.  Either way I only have a few favs for you this afternoon. 


First up is the book I just finished.  I read The Cuckoos Calling last week and I can say that I think I liked it.  I will be honest I only read it because JK Rowling wrote it.  I love Harry Potter and could talk about it all. day. long.  In fact I really relate to Nadine and her post about guys being hot because of their love for Harry.

Anyway Cuckoo's Calling was pretty good, but it was no Harry.  The first half was actually really hard to get through.  Kind of like the first half of Deathly Hallow.  Actually a lot like that.  The first half was slow and building up details that were needed for the end, but was just hard to make myself read.  About halfway through it picked up and I could not put it down.  Yep, it was just another Deathly Hallows.  If you are down for struggling through 200 pages so that you can read an interesting 250 pages then I would recommend this book. If you are looking for magic and whimsy look elsewhere.  

The only other thing I really loved this week were the goofy things my students said this week.  I personally am meeting with all the seniors and discussing college plans with them and giving them advice for applications.  I asked them when their applications for the University of California were due.  Too many of them said they were due on November 31st.  Take a minute and think about that one.  Children with 4.11 GPAs told me that their applications for colleges like UCLA and Berkley were due on November 31st.  November. 31st.  Maybe when they are in charge of the world they will make a change to the calendar so November will actually have 31 days.  I am pretty sure I am going to take December 1st of on account of all the tears that will flood the campus when they realize 31 30 days has September, April, June and November. 
Today I was a bad teacher.  I gave the kids time to organized their notebooks that were due today, handed back work and tried to show the end of a documentary on North Korea. 
This is really great by the way, watch it now on Netflix!
 
The speakers in the classroom I use totally stink and break on a regular basis.  Instead of teaching I just decided to play Heads Up 7 Up.  It was truly beautiful.  I don't know about you but this bring back so many childhood memories of hoping someone, anyone would just touch my thumb so that I could guess which weird classmate of mine picked me.

My students were so silly while they played and they totally acted like elementary kids again.  I loved it.  My favorite moment came when this silly kid who gets a little worked up about things had his head down.  Out of nowhere he whined, "This game is just so confusing!"  I laughed and laughed and laughed.  Really it was so cute.  I was so happy that we had 20 minutes of silly time, and I actually tied it in to the chapter we studied on the senses, hashtag teacher of the year.  

Here's to a great week full of silly people.  I hope you enjoy your weekend!  I am heading to the local rodeo to get in touch with my country girl roots! I am sure I will post a little somethin' somethin' on instgram @ericajt


No comments:

Post a Comment