Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Oh The Places You'll Go

So I am pretty sure I have mentioned this before, but I teach a lot of wonderful international Asian students.  You should probably read about the amazing and weird.

This is the girl's basketball team at my school.  They won their first game last week.  They are so short and cute! . 
One of the things I love most about teaching an international crowd is that I get to learn a lot about another culture.  In my English classes and now in my counseling office some of my best times come from language breakdowns and attempts to translate phrase directly from Chinese into English, and the hilarity that ensues!
 
Today I am going to share with you some of my favorite Chinese idioms translated into English.  These sayings are extremely useful in breaking down national borders and making friends.  If you find yourself in a situation and need to make a new Chinese friend try one of these. 


Little Three 
This is how you communicate the idea of a mistress.  This was my first saying I learned while at my job, which is odd.  Actually it happened because there are a lot of Little Threes in the books we read first semester, The Crucible and The Great Gatsby in particular. 

You Are A Light bulb
While might seem nice, it is not.  My students asked me what I was doing one night and I told them I was spending time with my friend and her boyfriend.  They all freaked out and called me a light bulb.  I asked them what it meant and essentially it means you are the third wheel, but meaner.  As if it isn't awkward enough they think that you not being with someone you love makes you shine bright for the world to see and make fun of you.  Thanks guys!

People Mountain, People Sea
this one means you are in a large crowd of people, say in Beijing.  Really it means there are so many people it is like a mountain or sea.  


I Will Give You Some Color! See, See?
The equivalent of "you want to take this outside?"  The meaning of this one is I am going to make you bleed and give you bruises.  It is a happy saying


Horse Horse Tiger Tiger
This has nothing at all to do with a zoo!  It just means "so-so" or "whatever."  If some one asks you how you are and you are OK you can reply "horse horse, tiger tiger."  Actually I do not recommend you do this, I have tried it in my classes and they just look at me like I grew an extra arm right before their faces. 


Not Three, Not Four
From what I understand this one means you are weird.  You do not fit into any grouping, you are not a three and not a four.  Maybe you are a five but the translation breaks down. 

My Head Is Heavier Than My Foot
May told me this one day on the way to school.  She was trying to tell me she had a head cold or that she was congested that morning.  It took many people to decipher this one.  It is now my favorite way to tell people I am a little under the weather. 
I feel like I am forgetting one, but I guess there will have to be a part two. Actually, I already know there will be.  Check back next week when I teach you all my favorite Chinese sayings you should use when you travel abroad.  Now go out and make some new friends!

5 comments:

  1. Do you speak Mandarin? The only ones of these that I know or have heard before are mamahuhu and ren shan ren hai...I guess that's what comes from learning Mandarin solely in a classroom setting, I didn't get to learn much non-academic Chinese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha funny! I loved having an exchange student and teaching her all of our things that made no sense in translation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow.. I love "horse horse tiger tiger". I was thinking to myself that I might have to start saying that as I love saying "weird things" but then I would get caught explaining "something else" about blogging and the fiance and bff already seem to be over all of that..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not three, not four, so I'm definitely using ALL of these from now on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! it is fun to use in regular conversation and provides a lot of haughtier.

    ReplyDelete