Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014 A Look Ahead

Happy New Year, you party animals!

I hope you all had a great night out in your high heels and party dresses.  I had a great night in my new "Homeless Chic" outfit.  What is homeless chic?  Well you see it is wearing a men's flannel shirt over your outfit.  The goal is to look cute without actually caring about what you look like! It was a delight to look at all the girls in their NYE outfits and while I wore my flannel and watched the Ducks game at the Yard House.  I am telling you it was comfy, warm and amazing.

As I sit here thinking about 2014 I am so happy with the possibilities this year presents me with.  At the beginning of each year I like to sit down and write down goals that I have for the year.  I do not like New Years Resolutions because they re cheesy and broken so easily.  I am such an achiever by nature that I function so much better making goals.  I also try to set up rewards along the way so I keep on trying.  Today I will share some of my goals with you.  If you ever think of it ask me how they are going.  It is aways helpful to have a friend remind you of what you set out to do.

2014 Goals

1. Make my house more of a home.

Sometimes I do not like my house.  There are things that need repair and I have to figure it out on my own.  I want to spend more time (and money I reckon) into making my house a place of refuge where I want to go.  I want to take time to make my house pretty and homey.  I started to do this during December and it has already made a huge difference in my mood and appreciation for what I have.

2. Watch less TV.

I have a lot of TV shows that I enjoy watching.  I have never watched so many shows as I do now.  In 2014 I want to spend weeknight reading or taking classes or doing anything social.  My goal is to leave the TV off as much as possible.  I will still watch the new Sherlock when it comes out this month and probably How I Meet Your Mother and Ducks games, but the rest can wait for a rainy day.

3. Take Penny on at least a 2 mile walk everyday.

Really this one is for Penny and me.  When I get off my lazy bum and take this little girl for a walk she is happy and calm and I am happy and more fit.  It is a win win win.

[caption id="attachment_373" align="aligncenter" width="640"]DSC_0142 Penny posing for Christmas. We just got home from a walk.[/caption]

4. Take at least 2 classes at my gym each week.

I work out at home at least 3 times a week and walk my dog. I also have a gym membership that I need to use more often.  I have just recently gotten over my intimidation of gym classes and I love them.  Honestly, I was terrified to go take a class at the gym because I assumed everyone was super crazy awesome at it, they aren't.  It is so much more fun to workout with other people and I want to make more of a habit out of it.

5. Take bigger risks.

Yes this could fall into a lot of categories.  I want to keep growing and challenging myself to be a better person each day.  I am looking at grad schools out of state and the thought of moving always scares me.  I also want to look more into stand up or improve.  These are things that scare me a lot.  When I think about the things I have enjoyed the most they are the things that scared me the most before I did them.

6. Go on more dates.

I am well aware that this one is silly, but really I need to man.  I love being single and I have a ton of fun with my life.  I just got really sick of dating the last year.  I would love it if someone could go on dates for me and get a good guy and then after a month I would pick up the relationship.  I have a date tonight, so I guess I am already doing pretty good on this front!

7. Keep growing So Much Sunshine.

I have loved writing this year and I want to keep it up in 2014 and take it further.  I will be honest and say that I would like it to generate a little bit of cash-flow for me at some point in the year as I plan to be a student again and some extra cash would be great.  I just opened up sponsorships for the year and already have my first month booked!  I am still offering free ads for February if you are interested.  Check out my sponsorship page and enter code SUNSHINE to get your free ad spot in February 2014!  I also want to get to know more bloggers and become a more active presence in this community.

8. Take Photography Classes.

I got me a fancy camera for Christmas and I love it.  It already takes way better photos than any other camera I have used.  I just want to keep getting better and better.  There is a photography school near my house that is great for beginners and professionals too, I have signed up for classes and am so excited to learn a new skill.

DSC_0012

9. Read more books.

I love reading and I have been lazy about reading this year.  Part of my laziness was due to being an English teacher and I had to read essays day in and day out the other part was TV was pretty fun.  I miss reading and will be reading more this year, send me your book recommendations!

10. Relax.

There are plenty of things that bother me and distract me from what I think is important.  Too often I let those things in and I can become negative.  I have been reminding myself more and more that simple annoyances do not matter and I will survive.  I have been asking myself in the grand scheme of life will this thing really be that important?  The answer is usually no and I then move on.  I want to relax about my future, about my past, and about the things that drive me crazy today.  I want more and more to live in the now and be happier each day.

11. Continue to let Jesus lead me.

I live my life for Jesus and I need to constantly be turning things over to him.  When I try and be Lord of my life I am super miserable.  When I step out of the way and let Jesus do it I am usually a little scared, but always blown away by what he can do.  I want this more and more in my life.

12. Love myself more and love others more.

This year I have really liked who I am.  I have quit caring what people think of me more and I have found things that make me happy and I cherish those things.  I want to keep this up in the new year and continue to be happy with myself and appreciate those around me for who they are.

Well that seems like a good place to stop.  I have loved 2013 and I am excited to see what 2014 has in store for me.

If you are up to it share one or some of your goals for the new year!  Let's make it a great one!

11 comments:

  1. Your goals are similar to mine. I got rid of cable so I wouldn't be stuck on the couch all the time, I really need to start taking my dog out on longer walks. Its just so cold.
    But you should of posted your outfit from last night. I'm sure you looked super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to take a photography 101 class of some sort. I have a fancy schmancy DSLR, but don't know how to use it properly. Sometimes I'll take a photo, like the result, and then say, "Okay, which settings was I using just now?"
    I also like the resolution to watch less TV. I began to make that change this summer, but feel I still have room for improvement. It's amazing how much time you get back when you're not being entertained by a television set.


    Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on the relaxing part!! My boyfriend is always telling me that I just need to relax, not an easy task.


    And watch less TV... so hard but so needed

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I was going to post a picture, but I felt too silly asking strangers to take a picture of me when I was so comfortable. I have a feeling it will be my go to outfit for a while and I will get a photo one day soon. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can find ways to relax that do not involve TV! haha Happy New Year girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally TV the time sucker! Good luck with your goals this year, we can do it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up! I love your dating goal, cracked me up that you said you wish you could have someone date for you for the first month and then pick it up there! Im sure of people feel that way. I think dating would be fun, I probably only feel that way because I have been with my husband since I was 17 haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, want to learn how to use my camera!! There is a 6 week course here for $299 but i just can't see myself forking that over for a hobby that I want to learn. Eek. Do you mind me asking how much your class is??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a little jealous! Then when I think about the boy I liked when I was 17 it never would have worked, mostly because he likes boys not too. Great link up girl! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it is kind of crazy, but I think it is so good for us to have hobbies as grown ups, it makes life more interesting and fun. The one I am going to is a 12 week course for $200 and that includes all the photo printing you can ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your goals! The last 3 are so important to staying in a healthy mental state of mind.
    What kind of camera did you get?

    ReplyDelete