Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

You Are Doing OK Dog Mom!

So there is this group at my church and practically every church I have ever heard of called MOPS, Moms of Preschools.  All the hip moms are in this group and I assume they wear their yoga pants and drink skinny lattes together at 9am on Tuesdays while the rest of us suckers are working.


In all serious I have some friends in MOPS and I know that meeting with other moms that are going through what they are going through has been amazing for them.  They talk about their stage in life and they listen to other wise women share their stories of how they made it through the tough the tough times.  I know that many ladies look forward to their group every week and they leave totally encouraged and ready to be the best mom ever.


I think I make fun of them because I am slightly jealous.  Not of the having children part, Lord knows I am happy to sleep in on Saturday mornings still.  I am jealous that they have a group that tells them they are doing good and that everyone makes mistakes.  I think we all need a group like this.


I know there are a ton of girls out there that are not moms of real babies but they are moms to cute little puppies.  I am pretty sure there are times where we all think we have totally screwed up our pup for life and if there were ever such a thing as a doggie psychiatrist we should send her there when she sent through her rebellious teenager stage.


This weekend I was convinced I was the worst dog mom EVER!  I had a little party at my house this weekend and Penny was the center of all attention. Before the party I went to my car to get the Cheez-Its I left there on purpose so we would have some to eat at the party.  Penny manages to slip out of the gate very stealth like and ran right out onto the street by my house.  No joke she ran right in the middle of the street!


I ran after her, which probably made matters worse because she thought we were playing chase.  I stood in the middle of the road and looked at me like, "Why are you jumping up and down and screaming like a wild woman?  Don't you know you are in public and people can see you? Geez mom you are so embarrassing!"


No matter what I did Penny would not come to me.  I calmed down and called her.  I ran toward the house so she would chase me.  I yelled at her.  May came out because she heard me yelling and tired to get Penny to come back.  I tried to use a calm tone with her.  If Jack London's story To Build A Fire taught me anything the 8 times I have read it, it is to remain calm so the dog doesn't sense you are freaked out.


Finally, the best person in the world saw her and stopped their car so everyone behind him would stop too.  He gave us time to coax her back to the grass and honked at her to scare her enough to move.  She ran back inside and went to her bed because she knew she did something wrong.











I am sorry, mom!


Then everyone came over and we I ate the Cheez-Its.  As someone was leaving they forgot not to leave the gate open and off Penny went for the middle of the street again.  Cue the screaming, pleading, playing, and praying.  This time she went even further in the street and I was sure I was going to watch my little girl get hit by a car.


Somehow she finally got scared.  She saw a car almost hit her and took of running for the house.  The rest of the night she kind of whined and slept but was totally fine.


For the rest of the night I texted my mom and friends and looked for as much validation as I could that I was not the worst dog mom ever and that no one was going to call DPS on me (Dog Protective Services).


Then I was watching Once Upon a Time and the following commercial came on.  I just pretended it was about puppies and not babies.


Anyway, I am tired of the moms to human children getting all the attention and encouragement.  I think that us dog moms need to unite and make MOPS mean something else, Moms of Puppies.  I promise we can still wear the yoga pants and drink lattes as we talk about how perfect our puppies are and all the trouble they get into. 
So who's in? By the way I can not even begin to imagine how hard it is to have a human baby! 
Oh and don't forget tomorrow is the first Tales From the Classroom Link Up! In case you missed it read about it here

So Much Sunshine

So Much Sunshine


8 comments:

  1. LOVE. I'd totally join your MOPS. Your story reminded me of the first Christmas I had napoleon, two years ago. It was the first time I had him in a collar instead of a harness. He's a corgi, so herding dog. He saw a UPS truck, lunged and his collar unsnapped! There he went into the street RIGHT in front of a GIANT UPS truck. I screamed bloody murder, the UPS guy slammed on his brakes and stared at me like, WHAT. And Nappy ran right back to me. I picked him up by the scruff of his neck, hauled ass inside, and started bawling because it was so scary. UGH. So yes, MOPS would totes be something I'd join. If only to look at adorable dog pictures all day with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Haha yes a MOPS for puppies is needed. It is the scariest thing when they run out of the yard. I am convinced that I will never be able to convince him to come back to me, luckily he always does and it doesn't happen too often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will TOTALLY join your MOPS :) I have a 2 year old golden retriever/sharpei mix that is my whole world. Thankfully, he's too much of a mama's boy to go too far away from me at any time, but my boyfriends' shih tzu/ spitzer mix tries to run away at least once a week. I kind of want to let her, because she snaps at my poor Tucker when he wants to play and then my Mama Bear instincts kick in and I get pissy.

    I'm glad Penny is okay! Having your kid run in the street is so scary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this post made me laugh so much! I am a dog mom and I really feel like my sweet dog is my baby. I never thought I would feel that way but I do! :) I would totally join your group!

    I am so glad I stumbled across your cute blog. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There totally needs to be a Mom with Pups group! My Seamus is a little devil and he has snuck out a time or two. Running like his was in the Sound of Music on the hill, me chasing like a crazed hyena, him with his tongue hanging out just for him to stop and sit like he had enough. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something similar happened to me. I was walking my dog and she somehow got out of her leash and ran away. Ran across the street until I couldn't see her anymore. I was so embarrassed I didn't even run after her. I thought she would run even more. So instead I speed walked back in the direction to my house and there she was running back to me. It was sooo scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that she came back! I heard after the event that you are supposed to play like you got hurt and the dog would come running back to you. Silly dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally just stalking you right now, haha! Penny is the cutest! I have been in the same exact boat, texting my friends, facebooking my family, and even venting on my blog about my puppy. We got him 5 days ago and i already feel like a bad dog mom! I really REALLY agree this MOPS should exist because this validated my feelings so much. MOPS unite.

    ReplyDelete