Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Why I Love Blogging!

Praise God it is Monday!  I know that is strange to say, but I only have four days left and then I am on Christmas break.  I may complain from time to time about the education field, but all my complaints stop as soon as I am at home in my yoga pants and the rest of the world keeps working.


Today I am felt like writing about why I love to blog.  This post came to me because lately I have noticed a lot of bloggers are complaining about blogging or quiting their blog all tougher. I am sad to see them go and maybe a little confused.  Often times they will say something like I hate my blog or it has become something I do not want it to.


I am in quite the opposite boat.  I love blogging and I love things that it has taught me. I see my blog as a hobby that brings good things into my life.  When it does not bring me joy I will know it is time to find a new hobby.  I have been thinking about why I like to blog and made a list of reasons why.




1.  I write something everyday


I honestly have become a better writer this year because I have constantly been practicing writing.  I feel like I have done a better job of finding my voice and writing style while also having a creative outlet.  I also have some room for improvement. I am not perfect, my writing is not perfect, my blog is not perfect, but I can see growth and see areas I can continue to grow.


2. My mom is proud of me


My mom loves it when I do well at something. When us kids graduate from high school I feel like our moms have a hard time because they are no longer mothering all the time.  I did not have plays for her to go to anymore or dances to be driven to.  She is always proud of what I do, but this is perhaps a more tangible way for her to my a proud momma.


Blogging has given my mom another things to be proud of and cheer for me.  I never have to look to see how many followers on my blog because she will text me anytime I get a new one.  As an adult there is little for our moms to brag about.  My blog gives my mom something to look forward to each day.


3. Embarrassing moments become tomorrows blog post


If we can not laugh about ourselves it is going to hurt really bad when others laugh.  If we can laugh at ourselves life will be much more enjoyable.  Also it helps make meaning out of those less than favorable moments.  Instead of thinking, "I can not believe that happened to me, I want to die!" to "I can not believe that happened to me!  Quick someone take a picture for my blog!"


4. It give me a place to fail publicly


This one may seem like a strange one.  As adults we have fewer opportunities to fail publicly.  I actually think that the occasional failure is a good thing.  It teaches perseverance and builds a stronger character.


Blogging is a great opportunity to risk creative ideas and try them out on the world.  Sometimes you will fail.  Sometimes you will have some success.  Last week i thought of a great  link up but I had absolutely no one join me.  Everything inside of me wanted to delete that post and forget about it.  I kept it up and a day later posted something new.  Having a public failure helped me know that it is temporary.  The next day it was over.  It also helped me to think of new ways to make it work in the future.  So you can bet I will be trying again during the new year.


5.  I am a cool computer nerd

 

html, photo editing, social media.  The list of new computer geek skills goes on and on.


When I started this blog I was like, "Oh look at all those pretty and colorful templates I can use to share m stories on."  I very quickly became sick of those and thought they looked like a high school student trying to be a professional.  I then wanted a button, or a custom header, or words on my photo.  As time has gone one I have learned some fun computer tricks to help make my writing pop even more.  Which I did not feel the need to include today, unless you count that awesome photo at the top that I made on picmonkey.


6.  Blogging gives me goals to accomplish


As an adult it is a easy to just become stagnate in our lives.  Work, Eat, Sleep, Hang Out. Repeat.  Blogging is one of the ways I keep from becoming boring.  I feel like the more I do in the world the more interesting I am and my blog is.


I can also make accomplish goals and feel a sense of pride in myself, goals I can actually accomplish.   I mean I have made it my goal to meet a nice and clean guy every year for the last however many years, and that has yet to happen.  I can however make a goal of getting 20 new followers or writing five posts in a week and I can actually accomplish that goal and have a sense of pride.


7. I have a larger perspective of the world.


At the risk of being a broken blogger record, you really do meet some great people through blogging.  I have learned more about other places and other ways of doing life and I am so grateful for that.


Seven seems like a good number to leave this list at.  I am sure I will be able to think of many more reasons I love blogging and I could do a part 2 sometime down the road.


For those of you who still love blogging what are some of your reasons why you keep coming back to your blog?


For those of you who have quit or will quit blogging can you please refer your readers to So Much Sunshine?  Clearly they are going to need something to fill the void in their lives and I am happy to fill it for them.

10 comments:

  1. I love all of these- and completely agree! It makes me sad to see bloggers leave. I love my blog and see it being a part of my life for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if this isn't just great!!! I love blogging too. so many wonderful things come out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love love your list...especially the failing one. Wait, that sounded bad. I obviously wasn't talking about you failing, but just loved what you said about that point in general. I feel like every day I'm still learning about myself (the good and the bad) through this whole crazy experience and although I'm not that old, not too many things have done that for me like blogging has now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great list. I really do love blogging too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic post! And so true! I think blogging is underrated. I've only had my blog up and running for three months now, but it has changed my life drastically in ways I'd never even considered! In this world full of technology-based "selfies" and YouTube videos, it's important to understand the significance of the written word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love #4, a place to fail publicly. I was thinking about that yesterday and how rare it is to find people comfortable enough with who they are to fail and still be ok. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I wasn't reading your blog Doctor Who style (completely out of order) I would have joined your blog link up!!

    To answer your question about why I keep blogging...I love it.


    I write for myself. It's like journaling for me. I know that a lot of people get discouraged when people don't read, or follow, or comment, but I don't care if anybody reads my blog. It a creative way for me to express my thoughts and feelings and share and remember some of my funny or cute or embarrassing memories.


    But when they do read my blog and comment I love them all as well. I love connecting with people. I have made some great new friends through blogging...even if they aren't many. I love making people laugh or sharing my pain to help people know they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is assume! It has been such great outlet for me to and I just love writing. I am glad that there is a way to keep up the practice of writing and also make some new friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just realized how much I love blogging as well. It is a great outlet at the end of the day or a long week. I also blog every day and its great to always be thinking about topics to write about. I hope I don't lose my focus during this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure you will keep blogging because you love it. I just have to remind myself before I sit down and write that I love it and if I do not it is so not worth writing!

    ReplyDelete