Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Tales From The Classroom - A Classroom Christmas Carol

Welcome friends to my first ever link up.  There is a chance that this will be totally amazing or will fail epically.  But like some famous person said at one point in time, take risks sometimes they work out.  Or something like that. 

So Much Sunshine

One of my favorite things about the school I work at is they will find just about any reason for the staff to wear jeans.  Have a fundraiser coming up in two months?  Wear jeans every Tuesday so the kids know about it.  Want the kids to apply for college?  Wear a college t shirt and jeans every Friday.  Christmas is coming? Wear Christmas colors and jeans every Wednesday.  I am not complaining.  I actually love this.  Below is my outfit from today. 

One of my students wrote a note on her test today and she said that I looked cute today.  I think she was fishing for an A. 
In the spirit of my school letting me wear jeans to promote Christmas I am going to share my Christmas memories from the classroom.  I love being able to celebrate Christmas with my classes and take a lot of joy in making my room look pretty.  In order to make ti a little more interesting i will be summoning my inner Charles Dickens and tell a Classroom Christmas Carol. 

Classrooms Past 

My first year at my school I went in over Thanksgiving break and strung up lights and put up a little Christmas tree.  I played Christmas music and stood by the door and welcomed them in.  As the walked in and saw Christmas they all would gasp and run over to me to see if I knew that the room was decorated.  It was by far one of my favorite moments as a teacher.


So simple, but so fun. 
One girl asked me if I was going to go Christmas crazy every year or be like other teachers who do things their first year and then stop because they are tired of it.  I told her that i would do something every year.  It might be different but it would be something.  I could tell she didn't believe me but I knew I could show her differently in a year.

Not the best angle but you can see the homemade snowflakes hanging from the celling. 

I was able to teach the same kids for two years in a row first as juniors and then as seniors.  I decorated my room again and the same girl told me she was so happy that I decorated.  It was something special for her and something she remembered.

Classrooms Present 

This year I only teach one class.  There is a chance it is my favorite class I have ever taught.  I will wait until the end of the year and then let you know.  It is a Psychology class and the subject matter of the class just leads to great and open conversations.


I am not sure but at the beginning of the year I promised a Christmas party.  The kids remembered this and I had to fulfill my promise.

About half of the kids in my class came to my house and we watched a movie, made cookies, played games and ate too much food.


My favorite part of the night was that they brought Penny gifts!  She walked away from the night with two new toys, a Santa hat, and three new sweaters.  My favorite says Call Me Maybe on the back.

Penny doesn't quite understand that the hat is for fashion not for play. 
Her new ball is bigger than she is.  She plays soccer with it. 
Christmas Future

I am not sure what the future holds for my classroom and Christmas time.  I do know that this tradition is important to me and it is important to me and to my students.  I am committed to sharing some joy and love with these kids every year.  I will pretend that a ghost is telling me that I matter to the world and I need to spread Christmas cheer loud for all to hear. 

Do you have any Holiday traditions that you like to share with others?

Now it is time to link up your Tales From the Classroom Post:

In case you need to remember what to post click the link above.

Essentially the link up is for students, teachers, and any life long learner out there that has a story to share.

Don't forget to follow So Much Sunshine and add the button to your post.  Add your post by Friday at 11:00pm.

So Much Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. So cute that you decorate your classrooms!!

    I was going to link up with you today about my finals but as you can see I never got around to posting...I guess I'm enjoying my freedom too much haha

    ReplyDelete